How do I drill down from a global map to local area?

Hello all,

First of all, I hope this is the right category for this question: many pardons if it is not. QUESTION: I have a continent map I made using CC3+ that is 1000X800. I want to take part of the map ... the peninsula of the Western Reaches, for example ... and make a more detailed map out of it. I want to take the 100X80 that makes up the Western Reaches and blow that up to a 1000X800 map of it's own. I have no idea how to do that. I don't know if it's possible (it seems to me that it should be). Can anyone tell me how, or get me started on something to show me how to do that?

Thank you, Shin

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited August 2018
    I think we covered this one just last week on this thread here:

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=8654&page=1

If that's not what you wanted, just shout :)
  • More direct than I thought it would be ... thank you! I'll give this a go. It seems to be exactly what I was looking for ...
  • Ok, I am *kind of* getting what I want. What I'm missing is that I'd like the part of the continent I'd like to 'blow up' to actually .. I don't quite know how to say this, but 'scale up'. In other words, is there someway to get the 100X50 or so of the continent I want to focus in on to 'expand' to 500X250 or something similar? Increase the land mass so I can put in more detail, with, say, increasing the town icon size?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You can scale the section up during the paste operation.

When you are prompted for the paste origin, instead of entering the paste coordinates (zero comma zero), first enter a scale factor (for example 1.5 for a map that is 1.5 times longer in the width and height, or 2 for a map that is twice as long in the width and height, and so on - however much bigger you want it), and only then enter the paste coordinates zero comma zero.

I've no idea if that is an official way to do it, but it worked for me just now when I tried it.

Entering a scale also makes it more accurate than simply resizing it by stretching it with the cursor.
  • Thank you for the information! I've been messing around with it, and I was missing the whole "Fracuralize"->"Path to Poly" bit. I think I've got it. Or at least enough of it that I will be chewing on it for a bit. Thanks again, I feel like I'm on the path :)