Need help aligning two different maps

Hi! I'm working on a fantasy map based on a real place. I have two partly overlapping old maps of this area showing various ruins, important sites and such. These sites are going to be the locations for the biggest settlements in my fantasy map, and I want to get the coordinates fairly exact, so I need to combine the two maps to form a more complete basis for my new map. I need an application which lets me specify common points on the two maps and then calculates the right angle and scaling for map 2 to be superimposed on map 1 as correctly as possible. I would be happy if it was really easy to handle without a lot of extra functions. I'd really appreciate any help on this.

Kind regards, Lark

Comments

• I do something similar with my maps. My world map is an interrupted projection, so I have to turn and align the corresponding map as I start on a new one.

Assuming you're starting with scans of the maps, I'd start a new map in CC3, insert both scans into the map as separate layers. Use CC3's scaling and movement functions to align the two maps as best you can, then start mapping using CC3 tools on top of the images -- hide one or the other as you get into areas of overlap.

I'm sure there are other approaches, but that's how I'd do it.

Steve