Question Before Buying

Hi everyone. Not sure if this is a problem or not, but I want to check in with you and get some advice before pulling the trigger on my big cartography purchase: Besides the forum here I'm also registered and have an account with profantasy which I set up a week or so ago. The issue is that even though I successfully login at the Home Page of the website, when I navigate to the products page the website doesn't detect me as being logged in (at the top right corner of both the products page and the checkout cart it keeps insisting that I log-in or register, even though I was logged in the page before), so my concern is that there is a problem somewhere and when I buy the products they won't actually be registered to my account, or some other glitchy problem. Perhaps this is just the way the website & store operate and I'm just being a nervous Nelly, but in either case I wouldn't mind some advice or re-assurance.

Thanks in advance:)

Future Cartographer

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    That's normal. What you buy is associated with the email you provide when you buy it anyway, and not your logged in account.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think you get an option to add new products to your existing account as you buy them.

(to be honest, its such a long time since I bought anything that I can't remember all that clearly, but I never had a problem with things not appearing on my account)
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2018
    I think it does ask to, or maybe the installer does, add the serial number to the account. I could be misremembering. Had skin cancer surgery Friday, all clear. But I can get a bit of memory hiccup.
    Wow, Jim! I hope you are feeling all right now?
  • Yes, its all gone. Hours on the table, etc. I have some nice bulgy bandages that will come off on Monday. Go back in a week for a check on the sutures, etc. It itches and I can't scratch. Argh.
    You need to distract yourself by starting a really dastardly difficult map ;)
  • Posted By: LoopysueYou need to distract yourself by starting a really dastardly difficult map ;)
    Now, just why did I think someone was going to make that suggestion ? :-)

I do need to come up with a method of mapping a 7 layer star cluster, with 618 stars in it. Side view... aaaagh.
  • Posted By: JimP
    I do need to come up with a method of mapping a 7 layer star cluster, with 618 stars in it. Side view... aaaagh.
    We will give you until Tuesday...
  • Okay. Tuesday in about a decade. Working on it for two years so far.
  • Only 8 years for us to see the final product.
  • JimP commented:I do need to come up with a method of mapping a 7 layer star cluster, with 618 stars in it. Side view... aaaagh.
    Not sure the viewpoint matters, Jim. A star cluster is a 3D object in space, after all, so side-on, top-down, or whatever, shouldn't really matter.

The number of stars isn't that many if all you're doing is drawing a circle for each star. I've hand-drawn far more than this making real-world star-maps before now, and in more recent times on the computer. If you need more detail that that, then yeah, I can see that could slow things down, even to the point of being problematic. I know some of the Traveller set-ups need additional information per star(-system), certainly, and I imagine that could really bog things down.

As for the seven-layer itch, nothing easier - use the seven main colours of the spectrum for the different star layers (presumably meaning "distance from the viewer", rather than CC3+ Layers here). So, red for the most distant stars in the cluster (think redshift), then orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet for the closest stars.

Those medics do love their bulging bandages for skin cancer treatment, I know. I think it's to stop you even patting the wound, so you can do nothing about the itching...
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2018
    I pat my head next to the wound... it seems to help.

There was a big, pages long, discussion on the Traveller forums on how to represent a star cluster, or even a region of space. The game apparently presumes 2D, but it isn't.

There is a template to show the side view, I'll attach a copy of it as a png. It shows three levels, probably a better wording that layers. I used colors to designate which level the star was on. Problem of course is it cannot show if there are more than one solar system in a vertical space.

There is software to show a small spherical area of stars, but my eyes don't see the results well enough to use.

edit:

I looked in my Traveller mapping folder and found a few other examples of 3D templates, well, pngs I can convert to templates. But none are 'easy' to work with. I'll think about it, but its a bit of a back burner thing for now.
  • Wyvern, how dare you give away sacred medical secrets like that. Now Jim will realize he doesn't have to put up with itch and can rip his face,head,arms,whatever to blood-soaked shreds.
  • I'm moving my posts about my Traveller site over to here.