How do I make a regional map from a world map?

Hi! I made a world map showing all my continents, and now I want to create a regional map for just one continent. How do I copy my continents into the new map?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited August 2018
    Hi Laycee :)

In a nutshell, copy the bits you want and paste them into a new map, then edit the land shapes to get rid of any bits that poke out too far around the edge of the new map using the trim, split and break tools at the bottom of the toolbars on the left. This may cause some land masses to be broken down into paths instead of filled polygons, but this can be remedied by right clicking the Fractalize button and choosing Path to Poly for those parts. If the reformed land comes back with a different fill, or on the wrong sheet, just use the change properties button to put things right again.

The copying and pasting exercise may be easier if you start the new map first, then simultaneously open the old map by double-clicking its icon. That will open two instances of CC3, which you can put side by side, or on different screens, so that you can see what you are doing.

Also when copying take care to click the map exactly where you want the bottom left corner of the new map to be, and then type 0,0 in when prompted for the first corner when pasting it into the new map.
  • Posted By: LoopysueHi Laycee :)

In a nutshell, copy the bits you want and paste them into a new map, then edit the land shapes to get rid of any bits that poke out too far around the edge of the new map using the trim, split and break tools at the bottom of the toolbars on the left. This may cause some land masses to be broken down into paths instead of filled polygons, but this can be remedied by right clicking the Fractalize button and choosing Path to Poly for those parts. If the reformed land comes back with a different fill, or on the wrong sheet, just use the change properties button to put things right again.

The copying and pasting exercise may be easier if you start the new map first, then simultaneously open the old map by double-clicking its icon. That will open two instances of CC3, which you can put side by side, or on different screens, so that you can see what you are doing.

Also when copying take care to click the map exactly where you want the bottom left corner of the new map to be, and then type 0,0 in when prompted for the first corner when pasting it into the new map.
    I'm pretty new at it, I actually don't know how to copy the map. I tried ctrl c and ctrl v but it says "Clipboard is empty".
    edited August 2018
    Its in the Edit menu. But even just pressing CTRL+C you should get a funny square thing instead of a cursor, and if you read the command prompt at the bottom of the screen you will see that CC3 is asking you to pick what you want to copy. You can either just pick things individually, or you can click in an open space and draw a box to capture the area complete.

When you have picked all the relevant stuff, you then need to right click the mouse and pick Do it. Then you will need to give CC3 the copy origin (that's the point I mentioned earlier - click the point you want to become the bottom left corner of your new map as the copy origin)

Wait for CC3 to copy the entities you have chosen. (It usually highlights everything pink, so wait for that to disappear, and it should all be on your clipboard)

Before you even do any that, however, I would make sure that you only have the sheets visible that have the things you really want to copy before you start. No point in having a ton of extra stuff you will only have to delete in the new map ;)
  • Posted By: LoopysueIts in the Edit menu. But even just pressing CTRL+C you should get a funny square thing instead of a cursor, and if you read the command prompt at the bottom of the screen you will see that CC3 is asking you to pick what you want to copy. You can either just pick things individually, or you can click in an open space and draw a box to capture the area complete.

When you have picked all the relevant stuff, you then need to right click the mouse and pick Do it. Then you will need to give CC3 the copy origin (that's the point I mentioned earlier - click the point you want to become the bottom left corner of your new map as the copy origin)

Before you even do that, however, I would make sure that you only have the sheets visible that have the things you really want to copy before you start. No point in having a ton of extra stuff you will only have to delete in the new map ;)
    Thanks! So when I selected what I wanted to copy, it only let me paste to the same map.
    Do you have the new map open at the same time?

It will paste into the active window, so if you simply hit CTRL+V it will paste into the old map again. Try clicking the top bar of the new map window before you do CTRL+V, or use the Edit/Paste command in the menu of the new map window.
  • Posted By: LoopysueDo you have the new map open at the same time?

It will paste into the active window, so if you simply hit CTRL+V it will paste into the old map again. Try clicking the top bar of the new map window before you do CTRL+V, or use the Edit/Paste command in the menu of the new map window.
    How do I open two maps at once? It keeps closing the first when I open the other one.
  • Posted By: LoopysueDo you have the new map open at the same time?

I figured it out!! Thanks! Now I need to know how to trim off the parts of the entity outside the new border. Do you know how to do that?
    Ok.

Have you used the trimming tools before - the four buttons at the bottom of the left hand toolbars. If you hover over them you should see that they are called:

Break, Split, Trim, and Intersect.

They pretty much do as the name suggests.

If you haven't ever used them before then the simplest way to do this is to click the Break tool and pick the edge of the polygon you want to trim (this doesn't work on symbols, which aren't vector polygons).

Once you have picked the one you want to break up, you will be prompted for the start and end point of the break. Just take a small chunk out of the poly, just outside the extent that you want to keep - just outside the map border.

The fill will disappear, but don't panic.

Next you need to do the same on the other side of the poly where it goes out of the new map extent.

When you have cut away the bit you don't want, delete that part of what is now a line (a path, really, but it looks like a line).

Then to close the remaining part of the polygon, right click the Fractalize button (also on the left and above the cutting tools), and pick Path to Poly, then pick the remaining part of the poly and right click the mouse, and 'Do it'.

If the new poly needs a new corner because it went off two different sides of the map, use the add node button to add and position the new corner(s).

I hope that helps :)
  • edited August 2018
    Posted By: LoopysueOk.

Have you used the trimming tools before - the four buttons at the bottom of the left hand toolbars. If you hover over them you should see that they are called:

Break, Split, Trim, and Intersect.

They pretty much do as the name suggests.

If you haven't ever used them before then the simplest way to do this is to click the Break tool and pick the edge of the polygon you want to trim (this doesn't work on symbols, which aren't vector polygons).

Once you have picked the one you want to break up, you will be prompted for the start and end point of the break. Just take a small chunk out of the poly, just outside the extent that you want to keep - just outside the map border.

The fill will disappear, but don't panic.

Next you need to do the same on the other side of the poly where it goes out of the new map extent.

When you have cut away the bit you don't want, delete that part of what is now a line (a path, really, but it looks like a line).

Then to close the remaining part of the polygon, right click the Fractalize button (also on the left and above the cutting tools), and pick Path to Poly, then pick the remaining part of the poly and right click the mouse, and 'Do it'.

If the new poly needs a new corner because it went off two different sides of the map, use the add node button to add and position the new corner(s).

I hope that helps :)
    Thanks for the help!!
    You're welcome :)

If you have any problems just shout. There's always someone around who can help ;)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2018
    *sigh* I'm hoping to have my loooong-promised/delayed video on this topic done sometime this coming weekend. In it, I use another technique (namely, Trace!). I'm sorry I didn't get it done sooner. Here's hoping I can finally wrap it up! At the same time, I should probably stop predicting finish dates. :-<
    D'you know....

I just simply didn't think of that!

Sorry! :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2018
    Think of what, my probably-forgotten video, or using Trace?

If you're talking about Trace (which I presume), then don't sweat it. Using the Break, Trim, etc. commands was the way most of us learned for a long time. It's how *I* learned, at least. The Trace thing was something I started doing just within the last few years. Even the first Tome (for CC2 Plus) described the break/trim/etc. method. I'm pretty sure Trace didn't even exist before CC3.
    Using trace ;)

Just like with many things in CC3 - there's always more than one way to do it.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2018
    There are some other discussions here. This one seems to be best. I also put how I do it. Monsen puts in some words as well.

trim larger to smaller map
  • Worth noting that Trace can cause problems if you need a really precise copy of the original (this can be important when you're trying to zoom-in on an area from your original map, for instance), and that Trace has particular difficulties if you try to use the fractal/straight option to trace a smooth polygon, or vice-versa. Monsen's Command of the Week - Trace tutorial topic is a good place to check if you're not familiar with that tool as well (which also has a link to Dogtag's video Trace tutorial :D).