Community Atlas: Basher Bay, Dead Forest, Village of the Salt Gatherers

Area map, then map zoom into the village area. Map size: 1.42 x 1.1 miles

Preliminary area map. I'l update it as I work on it. Or I can post the changed area maps. Which do you prefer ?

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2018
    The ocean calls, but the salt gatherers never come to the shore. The little pond is no more. Its water no longer lap on its shore. The village is quiet, except for rocks, timber, and thatch, that falls to the ground. No one there to make a repair.

An adventurers' camp. Some tents and gear, horse tack, but no one is there. No bones are there. The food is gone, likely eaten by wild animals. The water skins are empty, no water no more.

Wild horses are a short distance away. Could they have been brought here by the adventurers all full of hope ? Do the horse remember those who rode them ? Or are the voices of the adventurers, just echoes in the horses' minds ?

Village of Salt gatherers, Dead forest, near Basher Bay.

land_MS for background.

sandy looking area: Scrublands_MS

Symbol set: MIke Schley

Area map: 1.42 x 1.1 miles

Our Pond is: bitmap fill Desert_MS

The paths from the village into the Dead Forest were for gathering firewod.
  • hovel symbols: CD3 bitmap B CD3B_Hovel.fsc

The hovel symbols mark a last attempt to recover from disaster.
  • Looks like I'll be submitting the second and third maps.

Any changes suggested ?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    May I suggest making those roads more road-like for the village map? Those simple lines look good on overland maps, but on a village map, you are actually zoomed close enough that you would see the actual road, and not just a representation of it. An edge fed on the old pond would also soften those hard edges. Also, everything seems very yellow in that map. If it is an autumn map, may I suggest varying the colors a bit and not just using one color for the trees?
  • Oh, the trees are diseased. But I can change that.

I'll look into changing the road. The ones going into the forest are paths, but they need to be changed to.
    edited August 2018
    Have a problem, I think its the bitmap filI used for the paths. Not a solid line. I made sure the line style was solid, several times. And I erased and redrew the middle path that goes to the Dead Forest. Same look. When I zoom in, the paths become solid.

I'll attach the png and the fcw.

Road is 8' wide, of bitmap fill CD3A_Dirt 2 The foot paths are 3' wide.
    This is a rendering issue. When zoomed out, the road doesn't occupy a full pixel width on the screen/image, so the computer must decide if the pixel should be devoted to the background or the road. This is especially noticeable for anything going at an angle. Making the roads a bit wider, like 5' instead makes this much less of a problem (although it can still occur if you zoom far enough out).
  • Had to take the footpaths out to 7' for the line breaking to go away.

If nothing else over the next several days, I may not be able to map for a few days starting Friday, I'll submit on Monday or Tuesday.
    edited August 2018
    Here is the text for the two maps. I'll add the two pngs for any more ideas/fixes.

Village of Salt gatherers, Dead forest, near Basher Bay.

village_area01

Template: CC3 City basic.

Area map: 1.42 x 1.1 miles

The ocean calls, but the salt gatherers never come to the shore. The little pond is no more. Its water no longer lap on its shore. The village is quiet, except for rocks, timber, and thatch, that falls to the ground. No one there to make a repair.

An adventurers' camp. Some tents and gear, horse tack, but no one is there. No bones are there. The food is gone, likely eaten by wild animals. The water skins are empty, no water no more.

Wild horses are a short distance away. Could they have been brought here by the adventurers all full of hope ? Do the horse remember those who rode them ? Or are the voices of the adventurers, just echoes in the horses' minds ?

for background: land_MS

sandy looking area: Scrublands_MS

Our Pond is: bitmap fill Desert_MS

Symbol set: Mike Schley

The paths from the village into the Dead Forest were for gathering firewod.

====================================

village_area02 Template: CD3 Bitmap A

2426' x 1717'

14 families were living in thatched homes.

hovel symbols: CD3 bitmap B CD3B_Hovel.fsc

The hovel symbols lower left in the Dead Forest mark a last attempt to recover from disaster.

Rocks near the Our Pond shore are CD3C Half Rock a 1 and CD3C Half Rock a 6, the rock path is made of CD3C Half Path a 2 from CD3C Halfling in Cities CD3 Vector Shaded. The map trees are also in this symbol .fsc.

Road is 8' wide, of bitmap fill CD3A_Dirt 2 The foot paths are 3' wide.

A small green orchard still producing fruit. The rest, the fruit rots on the diseased trees.

75% of my original export.
  • 2 maps and associated text submitted.
    These maps are now added to the atlas. Thanks for contributing Jim.

Village of Salt Gatherers Environs
    Village of Salt Gatherers