The Mad Looter Tasadon Continent Map Contest

Want to win so cold hard cash and even get one of your maps published? Well step on up because it's time to put mouse to monitor and get mapping! This competition is being run in the Campaign Cartographer 3+ Facebook User Group. Feel free to join us!

The Contest!
• The objective of the competition is to map The Mad Looter’s main campaign setting continent – known as ‘Tasadon’
• The first prize for the winner is $200 AUD. Our intention is to publish the winners map in our upcoming Campaign Setting, Modules, Short Adventures and Adventure paths. The winner will also receive a free PDF of every product The Mad Looter publishes which includes this setting/map. You will also be formally credited in published products.
• The winner will be judged by the Principals/Owners of The Mad Looter
• As this is a bigger, more complex brief this will be a 2 month competition running for all of August and September 2018.

The Conditions
• Anyone is eligible to enter – you just need to create the map using Campaign Cartographer
• To be eligible for the prize you must be willing to give ‘The Mad Looter’ full commercial rights to use your final map and provide high resolution and source files. We need source files as some of the names of areas and cities are placeholder and may change before this is finalised.
• You must also agree not to sell or distribute your final map commercially, as it is based on our campaign setting and Intellectual property. You can feel free to share as an example of your work, use for your own gaming purposes or even share with friends for gaming – we love to see people playing in our world ??. We just ask that you don’t sell it!

The Brief
There is a brief document available for anyone interested in participating. Simply let us know you are going to participate via the FB page and you will be sent a copy.

How to Enter:
Simply respond to the announcement in Campaign Cartographer 3+ Facebook User Group to let us know you are going to be participating and then get mapping! Entries will close on the 30th of September 2018. Simply reply back on the announcement with a copy of your entry.
All members of the group are eligible to enter.

LETS GET MAPPING!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I can't do this one because I have a whole shedload of stuff I've promised to do in that time frame, but I do have a question.

What if a person makes a map that doesn't win. Are there any restrictions on how it can be used because it happens to be a map of your world?
  • Sorry for the delay in responding. The third point in the conditions should cover this. Our products will be released under the OGL but most of the content in this brief would be identified as Product Identity. Basically use it as you like but please don't sell it or distribute it without talking to us first :-)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello Mad Looter

Do you count uploading a map made for this competition (but which didn't win it) to FB or any other site just to show it off to your online friends as 'distribution'? The reason I ask is because most things automatically end up being distributed simply by existing somewhere online. Its the way of the world, unfortunately, that once its there, its a free grab (as far as a lot of people are concerned) - which is a form of distribution.

(I'm just trying to clarify this for others :) )
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Yes... it would be an awful lot of work for those who didn't "win" to have to basically chuck their work in the trash bin afterward. I wonder if asking for portfolios or samples and then just choosing an artist wouldn't have been the way to go instead of doing it as a contest? Just thinking out loud, mostly...
  • Hmm. I'm with Scott & Sue on this one. It seems a very strange way to go about what is essentially commissioning a map for a private company's game system. Plus how do you plan to prevent anyone from distributing the images once they're posted on Facebook? I'm not meaning the originators of the maps, who'd presumably feel bound by the conditions as outlined, but anyone else who happens along to that page? We've had the discussion here before about how much stuff online gets ripped-off to places like Pinterest without permission, or even much thought, on the part of those doing the ripping, often to be passed-off as someone else's work.

Mind you, I avoid Facebook (and Pinterest) like the plague anyway, so am probably not the best-placed to comment!
  • Of course you can upload it to Facebook or deviant art or any portfolio - all we really ask is you don't sell it or use it commercially. My use of the word distribute was possibly confusing - we are not trying to restrict anyone from sharing or using their work - actually we whole heartedly encourage this. The comprehensive source material we provided is more so what we don't want distributed - and we were quite apprehensive providing so much content for the competition.

Absolutely we could have commissioned a map - this is what we were going to do and we still may end up doing this. These monthly competitions have something that had been happening in the Facebook group for some time and we thought it might be nice and a bit of fun to support that community and give someone a chance to get a map published. Please be assured our motivation is to support the community and foster a bit of fun and friendly competition with a reward - but thank you for raising your concerns here so I could respond :-)