Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Hi everybody. I'm new here and trying to figure out what the most efficient use of my limited budget is. I want to make overland maps for my kids' D&D campaign so CC3+ seems obvious, but I also want to make isometric dungeons, too. So my questions is: do I need Dungeon Designer 3 AND Perspectives 3, or can I accomplish isometric dungeons with DD3 and not Perspectives, or vice versa? Thanks in advance for any advice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2018 edited

You don't need DD3 for Perspective dungeons, Perspectives 3 will suffice (In addition to CC3+ itself of course)

There are also a couple of annuals that offer perspective dungeons in larger "building blocks" (Perspectives 3 is more focused on letting you build your dungeon from scratch instead of using premade puzzle pieces). These don't require Perspectives 3 to use (and are easier to get started with compared to Per3, but don't have the same flexibility and power):
    https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2016/march16.html
    https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2012/june12.html
    Thanks for the quick reply, Monsen. I'm introducing my kids to D&D (and myself, too, I guess since I haven't played it since I was a teenager) and I figured an assortment of maps for overland areas and dungeons would help them visualize and more ably "grab" their interest. They're pretty young, so I need all the help I can get.

If I forego DD3, does Perspectives have as many options to create cool dungeon variety, or would it still be a good idea to pick up both? I'm going to pick up the city designer, too, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2018

For dungeons, DD3 has more options (Per3 has other strengths), so I do recommend picking up both. Getting a full dungeon mapped in Perspectives in the same details/size as you would in DD3 can also be both challenging and time-consuming, so my recommendation would be to get both, map the dungeon itself in DD3, and then use Per3 to create perspective views of interesting rooms. Since you are a new user, you'll probably fins it easier to start mapping dungeons in DD3 compared to Perspectives as well.

In any case, I recommend you get properly familiar with CC3+ itself before diving into any of the add-ons. There are a lot of basic knowledge to be learned there that will apply to every add-on. I highly recommend working through the tutorials in the manual.
    I really appreciate the advice, that was exactly what I was looking for!