Isometric Dungeon tool

Hi everybody. I'm new here and trying to figure out what the most efficient use of my limited budget is. I want to make overland maps for my kids' D&D campaign so CC3+ seems obvious, but I also want to make isometric dungeons, too. So my questions is: do I need Dungeon Designer 3 AND Perspectives 3, or can I accomplish isometric dungeons with DD3 and not Perspectives, or vice versa? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2018
    You don't need DD3 for Perspective dungeons, Perspectives 3 will suffice (In addition to CC3+ itself of course)

There are also a couple of annuals that offer perspective dungeons in larger "building blocks" (Perspectives 3 is more focused on letting you build your dungeon from scratch instead of using premade puzzle pieces). These don't require Perspectives 3 to use (and are easier to get started with compared to Per3, but don't have the same flexibility and power):
    https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2016/march16.html
    https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2012/june12.html
  • Thanks for the quick reply, Monsen. I'm introducing my kids to D&D (and myself, too, I guess since I haven't played it since I was a teenager) and I figured an assortment of maps for overland areas and dungeons would help them visualize and more ably "grab" their interest. They're pretty young, so I need all the help I can get.

If I forego DD3, does Perspectives have as many options to create cool dungeon variety, or would it still be a good idea to pick up both? I'm going to pick up the city designer, too, I think.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    For dungeons, DD3 has more options (Per3 has other strengths), so I do recommend picking up both. Getting a full dungeon mapped in Perspectives in the same details/size as you would in DD3 can also be both challenging and time-consuming, so my recommendation would be to get both, map the dungeon itself in DD3, and then use Per3 to create perspective views of interesting rooms. Since you are a new user, you'll probably fins it easier to start mapping dungeons in DD3 compared to Perspectives as well.

In any case, I recommend you get properly familiar with CC3+ itself before diving into any of the add-ons. There are a lot of basic knowledge to be learned there that will apply to every add-on. I highly recommend working through the tutorials in the manual.
  • I really appreciate the advice, that was exactly what I was looking for!