Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthormike robel
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2018 edited

Hello all. I am looking for a symbol set that shows overhead view of forest and vegetation and other objects from an overhead view, as found at the link?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/549281/assault-tactical-combat-europe-1985

(For some reason, I can't seem to attach .png or .bmp files.)

Nothing in the annuals seems to fit my needs, but the CSUAC collection might. Can anyone tell me if it does or if there is another resource that would fill the bill?

Thanks

Mike
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2018

Most of CSUAC is from overhead point of view. 13th Age annual has the best overhead view of mountains. (in annual no 7, 2013)
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2018

Thanks very much.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2018

Mike, it depends exactly what you're trying to achieve as to what might be best.

If you're aiming to recreate that 1970s-1980s style of board wargame hex-map shown in your link, most of the features are simply coloured polygons that you can use CC3+ to easily create without them being symbols. The main problems will be those terrain fills like forest and swamp/marsh which originally used the various types of rub-down dry-transfer patterning sheets (map creation by hand back then!). However, if you dig around online, you should be able to find scanned versions of these fill styles in a format you can either use with CC3+, or which you may need to convert to something CC3+ will be happy with. For example, there's a set of SPI-style .tif fills for woods, light woods, mountains, rough and swamp available still on the Gaming Stuff page of John Cooper's Web Site, in three resolutions each, which download as zipped file sets. Naturally, you'll need to tweak these for use with CC3+, especially if you need them in a different colour to black, but that should give you something to work with.

However, if you're wanting more realistic top-down views of specific things, try the symbols in Dungeon Designer (DD3) and Symbol Set 2 (SS2) add-ons for CC3+, as they have plenty of options for individual trees, bushes, etc.
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2018

Thanks Wyvern. As it happens, my armor regiment's (37th) coat of arms has a Wyvern on it, usually referred to as "Willie the Worm" when I was in 2-37 and 4-37AR. :)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2018 edited

mike robel commented:Thanks Wyvern. As it happens, my armor regiment's (37th) coat of arms has a Wyvern on it, usually referred to as "Willie the Worm" when I was in 2-37 and 4-37AR. :)

:D

Incidentally, this is an image of part of a top-down map I created very early on in my Campaign Cartographer mapping career. It was taken from a real-world map, but I recreated it using elements from CC3 and DD3 (yes, no "+"; it was THAT long ago!):

WyvernMap.jpg

I used it as a background image for some scale aircraft drawings I'd done earlier in a separate graphics program, so they could be "flying" above "real" terrain. I'd hope I'd do a better job of constructing such a map image now, but it shows the power of CC3 that even a novice could produce something like this, I think.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2018

Oh look! You've even added the sheep... :D
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2018

There are some cows too elsewhere on the full map - this is less than ΒΌ of the whole thing :D