'No draw tool matches your current draw tool'

i'm having problems and keep getting the above error message (I've abbreviated it slightly but the overall message is there).

Somehow I found myself in the CC3+ Overland menus and I can't get myself back to Modern Floorplans! Everything I've tried has failed; closing and opening, clicking the SS3 icon, in short, checking everything I can think of. I know I'm coming across as being thick, but I have run out of ideas, but I need things like Modern walls and carpet (stuff from the Drawing Tools that I can't get at in other ways).

Please help!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Try loading another map, and then load this one back in. All maps contains a macro that causes the environment to be set up correctly when the map is loaded (setting up toolbars, setting symbol style, and so on).
  • I'll try that when I can get at my PC again!

As an aside, what's the best way of putting shading as though down a shaft? That was what I was struggling to do when I lost the SS3 Drawing Tools.

Many thanks for the quick reply.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2018
    Lots of different ways.

Just one of them is to alternate sheets of solid transparent black with sheets of the things you are going to line your shaft with, and make the shaft progressively smaller into the background. This example is based on a technique I've seen Lorelei use, but to be fair I think I saw it before that. I just can't find the thread. Herwin Wielink mountains used as jagged teeth down a shaft.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2018
    Is it a round shaft? Is it made of polys or symbols?

There's several different ways you can approach this, such as these two options:
    • This technique works for any sort of shaft or pit (poly or symbol). Draw a poly over the shaft on another sheet, with an Edge Fade, Inner effect. If you want to see the bottom, then set the Inner Opacity to something other than 0%. I usually set the Outer Opacity higher than 0% as well, just a little.
    • For a square shaft (or other non-round shape), you can draw the bottom of the shaft (even if you won't see it) and then draw polys for the sides. Then use the Shaded Polygon (Angle by Edge) command on the sides, with an angle less than 90, even though they're probably at 90 degrees. In the attached example, I used 66 degrees. Then, if you're not going to really see the bottom, you can add a poly over it like the circular one above, or use the Hue, Saturation, Brightness effect and set the brightness to a very low number (-90 or 100 or something).

I hope that helps — or at least generates some ideas.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    When I did this pit I used several sheets stacked, each one with a smaller resolution of the rocks so it looked like they were getting farther away as well as deeper shadows until the bottom solid black.
  • edited July 2018
    I'm using the staircase from Bogies Map Objects, and I want to have a square shaft looking down to make it a bit more plausible carpet-wise. The view from the ground floor is OK but I need something looking down.
  • I've made one from bits and pieces taken from all the suggestions, so thanks everyone. If I can take a screenshot *and find it* I'll post it here.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Helen - Press the prt sc button on your keyboard while you are looking at what you want to show us, then if you have GIMP or Krita (or any other free bitmap app) you can usually use the menu File/Create from clipboard... (or some similar such instruction). In Krita I believe its File/New/from clipboard. The example below is GIMP.

Then all you have to do is use Export (usually also under the File menu) and save it as a jpg and upload it :)
  • Here it is, I'm not worrying about those two tiny bits of white as the spiral stairs and wall shadows hide them. Besides which, this is strictly for my use as a memory jogging image.