Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorBlakey
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2018

I'm really not sure if CC3+ is the way to do this, but as I'm using it for my maps...

I want to create a banner for the top of my web site (which will host my maps when done). I love the Tolkein font in CC3+ so want to use that for the banner. I'd like it to have a transparent background so that when I plonk it at the top of the site, whatever background colour/pattern I'm going with will shne through.

Is there a simple way to do this? I'm not sure how to start a "map" with a transparent/missing background? I'm sure I'm missing something and this is really easy, right? :)

Thanks
    Blakey
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

So far as I'm aware, the short answer is "no", as you can't create a transparent background like this in CC3+. You could easily create the complete banner though, with text and whatever background illustration you wanted - say an extract from one of your CC3+ maps - in CC3+, and then save that as a Bitmap - JPG or PNG, say - which you could add into your webpage design.

However, if all you need is the text, you'd be better using a graphics program (e.g. the free GIMP software) that allows you to type in and save just the text as a PNG with a transparent background, which again you can add to your webpage with whatever (presumably changeable) background illustration you need.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

As a backup to that idea, if you are comfortable with using GIMP at all you can export your title as a png and use the magic wand tool to select the background and then delete it that way.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I have been thinking about this.

Wouldn't some version of having a solid 10 bitmap on one sheet and putting the text on top of that ? They are under Fill styles, bitmap fills. They go in 10% increments.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

But when you render it out, Jim, its all opaque anyway ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I don't always use effects. Of course, it could be put on a sheet with no effects.
    • CommentAuthorJosh.P.

I've made banners. Not with transparency but you could easily leave the bit you want to be transparent a specific colour and then use Gimp/PSP to make that colour transparent and save as a transparency compatible format like PNG.

A Map
    • CommentAuthorBlakey
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2018

Thanks for the feedback, all. I've got GIMP and have used it - actually to make the backdrop to an exported PNG of my world in FM8 go transparent so that I could import it as a polygon for tracing in CC3+.

One thing I really like in CC3+ is the Tolkein font. I've started to apply it to my maps and I'd like to use it on my banner. Is there a way to get that into my default PC so that I can use it in GIMP?

Sorry if these are daft or simple questions - I'm a bit of a newbie in this realm.

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Just copy the ttf over to your C:/Windows/Font folder
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Where is the TTF inside CC3+?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Under cc3plus/fonts
    • CommentAuthorJosh.P.

Check this folder: C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Fonts
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's weird. For some reason I have all the fonts in Win 10 anyway. But maybe that's because I have the home copy of MS Office (the version you don't have to keep paying for every year)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2018 edited

All fonts in CC3+ should be available in other windows programs automatically. CC3+ installs them system wide (As is common for all programs under windows), the font file inside CC3+'s font directory is just a backup copy in case you need to do a manual install for some reason, but this isn't where CC3+ pulls it's fonts from when used in a map.
    [This statement does not apply to CC's old vector fonts, but nobody uses those anyway, CC3+ itself doesn't even provide access to them anymore]
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I know when I look up things like the Nordic font I asked about last year, I had to click on it, and Windows installed it in the Windows Font folder.