Exporting a map with a transparent background

I want to add my own custom background later in a different program for a map i have made.

Is it possible to export a map from CC3+ so that the white background is actually transparent?
Hopefully this is an easy to answer question and ive simply missed something basic, but i cant see how to do it...

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2018
    No, this isn't possible. You'll have to edit the export in an image editor and make it transparent yourself after exporting.

You may consider inserting whatever background you planned to add in the other program as a background in CC3+ instead.
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    Monson is right. CC3+ doesn't support transparency in PNG output. However, you can set a consistent color for the background and use a free graphics program like IfranView or GIMP to set that color to transparent.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2018
    As Monsen suggests, it is very easy to draw your background first and import it to CC3 using the menu item Draw/Insert File.

I have used this technique many times to effectively combine my use of CC3 with my use of GIMP - to get the best of both worlds in one map :)

If you update the background file and overwrite the one that is imported to CC3, the updates will appear in your CC3 map next time you open CC3.
  • Oh, i can effectively update the source file and that will be shown in C3+?
    Thats an interesting option.

As a bit of a newbie to changing colours to be transparent, is there a colour people tend to use, like how movie studios use green backgrounds for green screen effects for example?

Thank you everyone for the information.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Any color not present in your map really. I usually use a pinkish color (color #6)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Re- your first question Jamin. Yes - as long as you update the version of the image that you imported into the file.

Its because the image isn't stored in the CC3+ file but referenced by it.

Its the same way that symbols work, and the reason why CC3+ files are absolutely tiny compared to GIMP or PS files.