using a pdf map (converted to PNG) then converted over

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out if something will work and if it exists if there is a good tutorial about how to do it

I want to convert a map from a PDF dungeon (basically one of Goodman Games modules) . I've figured out a way to extract it into a PNG but the image quality isn't good enough.

I seem to remember that there is a way to redraw over and create a drawing that I can resize and then remove the original image.

Is there a good tutorial about how to do that in one of the resources? I can't seem to figure out a good search term to bring it up.

Thanks for your attention.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think its fairly simple to explain in a few words here :)

Create a new dungeon map the same size as your png image (I am assuming here that since it is a dungeon map there is a scale). The scale for dungeon maps in CC3 is 5 feet per map unit.

Then create a new Sheet called IMAGE just on top of the BACKGROUND sheet (below it in the list of sheets), and a new Layer called TEMPORARY.

Make sure the new sheet and layer are active turn on Grid and Snap, and import your png using Draw/Insert File... from the menu, and place it by clicking the first corner at the bottom left of the map, and the second corner at the top right of the map.

Then freeze the TEMPORARY layer so you don't keep accidentally selecting the png, and start re-drawing on your other sheets. As you progress you can move the IMAGE sheet further down the stack so that you can still see it while you are drawing.

When you have finished with the png simply delete the IMAGE sheet and the TEMPORARY layer.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2018
    Posted By: LoopysueThe scale for dungeon maps in CC3 is 5 feet per map unit.
    Uh, no. The scale is 1 foot per map unit. A map unit is exactly that, a UNIT, i.e exactly one of something.

Note that I sometimes use a slight variation to the procedure above. Instead of keeping the image below the sheets I draw on and move the sheet upward as I work, I apply a transparency effect to the imported image instead, and keep it on top. Easier to have control over everything I've drawn that way.