contour maps

I've followed the tutorials and they are great and I made my first pirate island and it looks awesome! What I am really wanting to do is create a contour map of a mountain. I know there has got to be a way to do this and I'm just not seeing it.
1. Can I do contour lines without fill? How do I choose a fill color not included in the menu?
2. Is there away to mark elevations like on real maps i.e. ----20----?

Thank you in advance. This is going to make my classic Erebor style campaign so cool.

I'm going to look for the Fenlon style template, but if you have a quick solution I would appreciate it.

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2018
    I came up with my own template for contours. I used a different color, or bitmap fill, to designate a range of heights above and below sea level.

The template, and the color chart are here:

color chart url updated June 14, 2018.

My surface maps are in transition, mainly, multiple contour styles, so there is some reworking in progress,

To add new ones to a template: click on FS for Fill Style, upper right top of CC3.

Then click on Bitmap Fills. Click New. Name it, and browse to the buitmap fill you want. Click okay.

Then 'Save As' a new template, name it.

All set.
  • The color chart isn't showing for me.
  • You have to click on the post title 'Color Chart for Surface maps' then it shows up. I am uncertain why it does that.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Posted By: gull2112I've followed the tutorials and they are great and I made my first pirate island and it looks awesome! What I am really wanting to do is create a contour map of a mountain. I know there has got to be a way to do this and I'm just not seeing it.
    1. Can I do contour lines without fill? How do I choose a fill color not included in the menu?
    2. Is there away to mark elevations like on real maps i.e. ----20----?
    You can edit the look of contours in the Advanced version of the drawing tools dialog.

- Right-click the Contours button
    - Click "Advanced".
    - Create a "New" drawing tool and name it "Contour, My own".
    - Under "Properties" you can now set how your contour is supposed to look, for example change its color (even to use the current color), change the fill style to hollow, etc.
    - When you're done changing the Properties, save the tool and start drawing with it. You can always re-select it by right-clicking the Contours button and choosing it from the list.

Hope that helps,
    Ralf
  • 5 months later
  • The contour styles on the Napoleonic Maps August annual should fit the bill quite nicely. I am continually wowed by the annuals, what a fantastic value! I have always liked those maps and it never even occurred to me to try and do it on CC3. Very, very, cool.