Area Tool

How exactly works the Area tool (in the info menu)? I just have to keep clicking in the contour of an area and it gives to me the results?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You have to right click once you've selected the poly(s) and click 'do it' :)
  • Posted By: LoopysueYou have to right click once you've selected the poly(s) and click 'do it' :)
    Ok. And the unit (km2 or ml2) is what I say it is, right? Or the program use one set by default and I have to convert?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The results is in squared map units, so it will always match whatever units your current map is in. If your map is scaled in km, it will be km2, and so on.
    (of course, all calculations assume you use map scale correctly in the first place, if you for some reason have decided that 5 map units is 1 km in your map, then this will be off, because it assumes normal scaling, see my Scale Matters blog entry for more about scaling)
  • Posted By: MonsenThe results is in squared map units, so it will always match whatever units your current map is in. If your map is scaled in km, it will be km2, and so on.
    (of course, all calculations assume you use map scale correctly in the first place, if you for some reason have decided that 5 map units is 1 km in your map, then this will be off, because it assumes normal scaling, see myScale Mattersblog entry for more about scaling)
    So if I create a template 1000 x 800 where 1 map unit is 1km (so my map has 1000x800km) the tool will calculate area just fine?