Street Maps for Fantasy city

Are there and tutorials on how to make good fantasy city battle maps...for ambushes in dark alleys and things.
What are the best tools to use ect....I'm new to CC3+ so help would be appreciated I know I can use DD3 to do building interiors but I'm struggling with outdoor battle maps.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Either DD3 or CD3 can be used to make outdoor battle maps, but DD3 is better for battlemap scale drawings because it has far more battle map symbols for use, whereas CD3 has lots of buildings and the capacity for you to draw your own using the House tool, or shaded polygons.

You might find it easier to make outdoor battlemaps if you download and install the third party art collections listed in the sticky resources thread at the top of the forum - those from the Vintyri pages. There are all kinds of symbols there from trees and flowers to log piles, anvils, and I think... monsters? Not sure on that last count (I draw and use my own stuff a lot of the time).

There are also the extra symbol sets. I understand (because I don't have them myself) that SS4 is a good one to have for a start.

As for learning about how to use DD3 or CD3 its one of those things that you just keep learning about. I have been concentrating on CD3, so don't actually know that much about DD3, but I've been using CD3 for about 2 years, and I'm still picking up new ideas from others here. I also learn a lot by experimentation. There are several videos by experienced users linked from that same resources thread that I mentioned before. Or, there is the Tome of Ultimate Mapping - a seriously good value for money purchase, which covers just about everything you can possibly do with Profantasy software - including all the add-ons. I would recommend reading only small parts of it at a time - the bits you need as you go along.