Is it as Impenetrable as it seems?

Perhaps I'm getting old, I don't know, but I wanted to create some nice old style Traveller deckplans.

Several hours later I still can't work out how to get a hull template to open properly so that I can select grids or even get away from the default pink. CC3 is probably awesome, the finished products look lovely, but it is impenetrable to me! I'm not interested in the terrain maps just deckplans, but I feel like a 10 year old here.

Is there any online help? I was hoping to get drawing straight away, but hours of frustration have really made me regret the £60 cost. I'm wishing I'd stuck with the graph paper and pen - I know I can do that and make it look good.

The 'creating a deckplan' file in the help section is very vague, and seems to refer to things that don't exist - like Dialog, and Active Hull.

I'm going to go away and have a break now, before I throw my laptop at the wall!!!! :0

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    A hull template is simply opened by Clicking new, selecting "Cosmographer" and "Decide Settings myself", Next, "Cosmographer Deckplan [Metric]", next, set parameters, next, finish.
    I am unsure what you expect from the template though. The templates are always basically empty. They contain borders and such, but no pre-drawn spaceship hulls or similar. You need to draw these yourself.

If you don't like the pink colors of the template, you have two options. The easiest is to use the "change Properties" [MPEDIT] command on them to change their color to another color.
    You can also start a new map based on an existing template instead of using the wizard. This is done as folows:
    New -> Select "Cosmographer" and "Pick a pre-defined template" -> Next -> Click "Select Path" -> Navigate into the decplan subdirectory, and open any of the tempalte in this directory. This will take you back to the template preview window -> Select the desired template.

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend you start out with doing the tutorials in the main CC3 manual first. Even if you are not interested in overland maps, this tutorial teaches you to use all the basic functionality of CC3, which Cosmographer builds heavily on. If you haven't downloaded it already, the full CC3 manual is available on your Registration Page
  • Many thanks, that was very useful. I hadn't realised the PDF was on the reg page. Now printed. I'll have a read with my laptop open next to it.

Thanks again!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You're welcome. Good luck learning CC3. I'm sure you'll make deck plans effortlessly in short while. And hopefully, Cosmographer 3 is not too far off, enabling you to make even prettier deckplans.