Fahrwasswer - city by the sea. (Also Torstan in Ruma Helrevy, Peredur, Community Atlas)

I must be mad. I have agreed to do a city with specific details for someone on the Campaign Cartographer Facebook page (Felix Schulz). He has also kindly let me use it in the community Atlas where it will become Torstan, the capital of Ruma Helrevy on Peredur.
I have chosen to base it on Carrickfergus, but already the map has been rotated, has a river running through it, and town walls.
The total population is 20,00; ie about 2,500 buildings.
Here are Felix's notes:

It is a City east of a mouth of a river into the sea. The culture feels Baltic or eastern Prussian (Prague, Gdansk or Göteborg). It's the biggest city around, approx. 20.000 people. Its wealth is through trading per ship and now has universities, a citadel, and lots of traders, craftsmen and poor folks.
The city is on the mouth of a big river, but only on the eastern shore of it. North of the city is the sea. The city itself is a free city, it got rich by trade and as a navy harbor. It has some rich quarters for merchants and the local elites, is ruled by a mayor and a city council. It has an university and many skilled craftsmen. The surroundings are fields and smaller fishing villages on the seas and the river
The region is very rural and is very eastern European in its culture and style. Fahrwasser is an imperial city, an important harbour and more "sophisticated" than the rest of the region.

Religion
It's a pantheon of gods, with many saints. There are three main gods: mother, father, daughter and the rest of the gods is somehow connected to this family. So I guess it's more or less Roman/Greek but with Christian and Slavic influences.

Just got to figure out how to do crenulations for the walls (the tower ones are good, I think), then the process of building begins. Fills on the docks not the final ones.

Comments