Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2018 edited

I must be mad. I have agreed to do a city with specific details for someone on the Campaign Cartographer Facebook page (Felix Schulz). He has also kindly let me use it in the community Atlas where it will become Torstan, the capital of Ruma Helrevy on Peredur.
    I have chosen to base it on Carrickfergus, but already the map has been rotated, has a river running through it, and town walls.
    The total population is 20,00; ie about 2,500 buildings.
    Here are Felix's notes:

It is a City east of a mouth of a river into the sea. The culture feels Baltic or eastern Prussian (Prague, Gdansk or Göteborg). It's the biggest city around, approx. 20.000 people. Its wealth is through trading per ship and now has universities, a citadel, and lots of traders, craftsmen and poor folks.
    The city is on the mouth of a big river, but only on the eastern shore of it. North of the city is the sea. The city itself is a free city, it got rich by trade and as a navy harbor. It has some rich quarters for merchants and the local elites, is ruled by a mayor and a city council. It has an university and many skilled craftsmen. The surroundings are fields and smaller fishing villages on the seas and the river
    The region is very rural and is very eastern European in its culture and style. Fahrwasser is an imperial city, an important harbour and more "sophisticated" than the rest of the region.

Religion
    It's a pantheon of gods, with many saints. There are three main gods: mother, father, daughter and the rest of the gods is somehow connected to this family. So I guess it's more or less Roman/Greek but with Christian and Slavic influences.

Just got to figure out how to do crenulations for the walls (the tower ones are good, I think), then the process of building begins. Fills on the docks not the final ones.
      Miroslav.PNG
      Carrickfergus (google).jpg
      Miroslav West Bank.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2018 edited

Today's work - added crenelations to all the walls - thanks Jerry Thiel and Sue Daniel for your help - I used a modified version of one tip given, and it worked really well. (and I'm not saying which one 3:) ). Also added a few major buildings - grey for government, brown for commercial/guilds and purple for religious. These will later be replaced by nice symbols.
      Miroslav2.PNG
      Miroslav West Bank2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2018

Looking great, Quenten :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2018

Quenten, the correct word is excentric. Although my sisters claim I'm not wealthy enough to be considered excentric. Odd maybe... Well, thats what they said.

Those are good maps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2018 edited

Progress to date - the Upper class and Middle class areas done, along with craftsman and Scholar quarter with University.
    Next, a poor area, the Castle and fort, and the west side of the walled city. Any suggestions please.
    There will be trees and fountains and statues to add, which will break up the tiling pattern in the parks.
      Torstan.PNG
      Torstan Craftsman District.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2018 edited

Today's progress - have to 'tidy up' the poor section. Have also added a hospital. I will work on the drydocks are, outside the city to the west, and more of the area east in the city, joining the craftsman and poor sections together. As always, feel free with your comments - criticism helps me more than compliments, though the latter are always appreciated.
      Torstan2.PNG
      Torstan West Bank.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2018 edited

To date progress. Lots of details to fix, of course, but I am happy with the west walled city. The castle is pretty close to Carrickfergus castle in the rebel state of northern ireland
      Carrickfergus castle (plan).jpg
      Torstan3.PNG
      Torstan East City.PNG
      Torstan West Bank2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2018

Looks amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2018 edited

Further update. Hope to have all ordinary buildings finished in next 2 days. Close up of NE city outside walls.
      Torstan PF.PNG
      Torstan NE extramural.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2018

Looking good, Quenten :)
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Yes, quite a large city, which means lots of work went into it. Very nice. I really like the walls and towers.
    • CommentAuthorleosuth

just curious as to how long it takes to do a redraw of that lot! :)

Nice going, you're obviously far more patient than I am
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2018 edited

leosuth - speaking from my own experience in city building, CC3 doesn't really have too many problems that way unless you have a really huge city and lots of other background sheets for the landscape, etc.

if you do end up having problems that way, probably the best way to remedy it is to put sections of the city on different sheets, so that you can switch most of them off while you work on the active one. Also work with the sheet effects turned off, if that is practical for you.

There are other alternatives I remember being mentioned just recently, but I can't recall them off the top of my head right now :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2018 edited

Sue, I have indeed already done that - different sections on different LAYERS (not sheets) and effects off. That helps massively. I use layers for this so i don't need to copy all the effects from one district to another 5-6. So I have 6 different district layers, yet all the houses of a given size in every district have the same sheet. This is one of the really good uses of layers for me.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2018

LOL! I think that was the other solution I couldn't remember - I think you mentioned it over on the FB Group page a few days ago, but I have the memory span of a goldfish :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Here is my Latest city update
      Torstan.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Wow!

Nearly finished?

It looks terrific :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Red X in the image ?
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I'm impressed! That's one big, intricate city map!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I am on another computer as an inpatient in hospital without the image of Donny Dump, hence the red X. I suspect the customer will not want that kept (price charged = able to put in Community Atlas with another name - at present Torstan on Peredur, but that may change).
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2018

Oh dear!

I hope you are making a speedy recovery... not that I really like Donny Dump!

(Some would say the map is better without him?) :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Not like Donny Dump?!! You must be sane or something!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

OMG!

No, please don't say that.

I am most definitely and completely insane :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

LOL
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Wow, Quenten.....looks incredible! I am just amazed at how you are able to put together city after city. Great work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

So am I amazed - and am actually looking forward to the next one - perhaps a ruined city of Trumpton?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2018

Just a tidbit of Fahrwasser - the sportsgrounds (combined racetrack and hurley field), stadium and hippodrome), Saleyards and open-air market.
      Torstan Sportsgrounds.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's a really steep hill!

Not keen on the fuzziness of the texture background to the Racetrack and Sportsground, but maybe it looks different at full size ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I agree about the background - didn't rescale the fill before i posted it. I will wait and see what Felix thinks of the hill before making it less steep, but it will be good for exercise for an overweight nerd like me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Please, please, please feel free to criticize and suggest - it will be easier to take suggestions and make corrections as i go than after i have completed it. For now, I will show district by district till the final product.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Whatever it is that you are using for the bevelled part is suffering quite badly from transparency acne. This may be because its the same texture as the underlying texture? You might find it looks a lot nicer if you use Solid White 10 or the black version of it, the bevel, and then a blend mode.

I think it went something like that anyway. Can't quite remember, its been 2 years since I did my map of Ethran ;)

I'll have a look for it in the morning.

The other option is to copy the shape onto a new sheet just below it, copy everything except the bevel effect onto it, and change the properties of that copied poly to something like solid and mid grey. I usually call it BACKING SHEET, because its the backing to stop the visible bevelled extent getting those weird potholes of transparency like little craters all around the edge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2018 edited

I'll try the latter - simpler for a bemused brain at present. Hill now what I want, and dirt fill fixed - for some reason it had scaled turned off - grrr. Added a clocktower in central city, and working on the southside area outside the walls - hope to complete them today.
    AND YOU SHOULD BE ASLEEP!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL! Yes - I did try, but there was a thunder storm!

Night night :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2018 edited

Here is the Southside districts, pretty well finished. Also a close up of the sportsgrounds area.
    Finally, a view of the whole city. A link to a higher res map will be forthcoming when it is finished, or I am out of hospital, whichever comes first.
      Torstan Southside west.PNG
      Torstan Southside east.PNG
      Torstan Sportsgrounds2.PNG
      Torstan2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2018

Loads of work! And looking great :)

Good to see you've got that transparency acne sorted out ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2018 edited

Finished Eastside and the slums today. I need help on Beacon Hill - the NW side is not so steep, but the pavement is perhaps still floating. Any thoughts?
      Torstan Eastside.PNG
      Torstan Beacon Hill.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2018

Its a huge city!

Great work :)

I'm now very lost, though, and don't know where Beacon Hill is. Maybe a zoomed in shot would help?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Sorry! Found it :)

Here's an idea that may or may not work...

How about building the hill with loads of shaded polygons?

I'm barely awake yet, but I can do a quick example. Back in about 30 mins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

How about this?
      Torstan Beacon Hill2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I'm starting to see blurry shapes...

And my idea didn't work because shaded polygons work differently to shaded bevels. One reflects light off the steep flank on the lit side, while the other becomes general darker the steeper the slope (even on the lit side).

I think I will try 3 sheets, no bevel. Background, shadow and highlight.

Back again shortly!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2018 edited

This is possibly the most rubbishy drawing I've ever done, but I am still only half awake!

The two sheets are shading and highlight. They have polygons drawn using the freehand tool (nice and fast) in various tones from the transparent fills (Solid 30, Solid white 30), with an EFI to soften the edges and a blend mode set to multiply on the shading sheet, and screen on the highlight sheet.

Like I said its a really crappy drawing, but I think it communicates the idea ok.

Effects off:

01.jpg

Effects on:
      02.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks, Sue - I hope that does the trick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2018 edited

My latest efforts - finishing off the last bit of the city - now for the surrounding country side. Shown is the Westside districts and a close up of the Noble district, along with the main sewer system and the main cemetery. I aim to finish this on 31 August 2018, as promised.
      Torstan - Westside.PNG
      Torstan - west Noble District.PNG
      Torstan - sewer.PNG
      Torstan - cemetery.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2018 edited

Well, 1 day to go. I have run a bit short of ideas for the remaining countryside - suggestions welcome. Just a few tidy-ups of the buildings in the city proper, and labelling. So still lots to do tomorrow - and the refresh time is getting slower with everything on plus effects - up to 8 mins
    I also show some of the countryside - I have used vector symbols for the trees in the forest, for obvious reasons - I hope you don't hate them too much, but i quite like them.
      Torstan3.PNG
      Torstan-countryside.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2018

I like the trees too. This map is definitely about the city rather than the countryside anyway ;)

I bet you feel slightly relieved, and maybe a little bit sad now that you've finished it?

As for 8 minutes!

:O

I don't think Merelan city ever took more than about 30 seconds... but my machine wasn't crippled back then ;)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Sorry! Rabbiting away I forgot to say:

Really great map, Quenten :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2018 edited

Not quite finished, as mentioned above. i still want to fill in some of the empty spaces - one idea is a ruined village using Par Lindstrom's ruined city symbols. Still need more suggestions. And not sure what to label yet; obviously I will use an index
    • CommentAuthorGThiel

Perhaps Beacon Hill used to be much bigger, made of some hard granite and it has been quarried away to build the walls of the city? Area to the SE of what remains could be rubble and terraced quarried into the depths, now partially filled with water. A place for all the daredivil children of the city to practice their diving. (and they could be food for the creature released from the deep when the quarry went to far into the underdark?? :-) )
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Great suggestion, Jerry - but i might turn it into a rubbish dump.
    • CommentAuthorGThiel

A rubbish dump next to the Upper Class neighborhood?? Doesn't do much for property values, but sounds like something Donnie Dump would do .. .. ..