hex grid

Yesterday I did something that caused the Hex grid to appear and I couldn't find anywhere to tell me how to turn it off. I looked in Help and there was something about turning it ON but nothing about turning it off.

I looked in the User Manual this morning and did a Find search and discovered that there was only TWO occurrences of the string of letters "h e x" (but without the spaces). They're both on p.79 if anyone wants to know.

Why isn't there anything about getting out of this mode? When I made the map to start with I didn't check/tick anything about the hex options, by the way.

Helen - who is starting from scratch

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2018
    The hex and square grids aren't really a mode. They're entities drawn on the map, just like terrain or lakes or roads. If you accidentally add a hex (or square) grid, you can delete it. By default, CC3+ places the grid on the HEX/SQUARE GRID layer and on the GRID sheet. Often, the HEX/SQUARE GRID layer is frozen which can prevent you from selecting the grid to delete it (though not always, as explained here). Open the Select Layer dialog and clear the checkbox with an "F" in it from the layer. Close the dialog and then delete the grid as you would any other entity. If you want to ensure you only select the grid, you can hide all other layers while you're in the dialog.

Other alternative ways to just select the grid:

• Hide everything but the GRID sheet.
    • Click the Erase [CC3 Button Image] button, and then right-click on the map and choose Layer from the popup menu.
      Right-click again to open the Select Layer dialog.
      Select the HEX/SQUARE GRID layer and then click OK (you don't have to check any boxes, just click the layer so it is highlighted in the list). All entities on the chosen layer will be selected.
      Then right-click and Do It.
    I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thanks @Dogtag. I'll have to remember that for future problems. :D