Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthormattekure
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2018 edited

I am making some battle maps for a short adventure I am working on. This is the first maps I've posted and I'm looking for any feedback. One is a map of a small mining town, and the other is the entrance to the mines.
      Town Map (small).JPG
      Cave Entrance (small).JPG
    • CommentAuthorGThiel
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2018

Looks good! only suggestiion I would make is that at the track divides, I'd add more Ties to intersections. I cant tell from this pic, but did you put the tracks on top of the rails?

I lied, another suggestion would be to add more tracks from the cart to the edge of the map, perhaps add a section of the tracks that lead from the incoming tracks around and through the trees to come back to the siding. It would make it easier for the haulers to get the cart lined up. and perhaps a small stable for the mules to rest in.
    • CommentAuthormattekure

I made the tracks the way it describes in the Tome. I drew a single line, did the offset, and then used symbols along to make the ties. I manually removed the ties that seemed like they were all bunched up at the intersections. Perhaps should have left more in.

I like the idea of the cart tracks coming around and the stable. I'll add those in.
    • CommentAuthorGThiel

This what I meant by more ties. (very rough extract and line drawing)
      Capture R.JPG
    • CommentAuthormattekure

Yeah, that makes sense and looks better. I'll post an update shortly.
    • CommentAuthormattekure

Ok, here is with some changes. found I had a bush in the middle of the cart track, so I moved that. I added a stable area for animals and shaded the land under the cart tracks and rail tracks outside. Also added in extra ties at the junctions.
      Cave Entrance (small)2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Wowsers !
    • CommentAuthormattekure

Here is the lower level, where the BBEG will be waiting.
      Mine Lower Level.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2018

I think the rails in this section are much better. Maybe that's because its not so reduced?

They are also smoother - with no sharp kinks in them at the junctions.

Great looking map :)
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2018

This is really good. Love the mines. Just not sure about the shadows as its supposed to be subterranean.
    • CommentAuthormattekure
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2018

Your right, I thought I had copied all the symbols to the Symbols Flat sheet, but it appears I forgot about the support posts. those shadows do look wrong.
    • CommentAuthorpvernon
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2018

I would suggest a narrower track gauge. Most hand moved mine carts are on something around 2 1/2 foot gauge. If you use metric 600 mm was popular. But that is just me, rail nut.
    • CommentAuthormattekure
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2018

I'll redo it with 2.5 feet. Out of curiosity, how wide are the tracks themselves? 3 inches? 4 inches?
    • CommentAuthormattekure
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2018 edited

I've changed the width of the tracks to 2.5 feet and gotten rid of the shadows for the support posts.
      Cave Entrance.JPG
      Mine Lower Level2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorpvernon
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2018

Rail width, modern light rail is 2 - 3.5 inches depending on weight.
    For mine rail in ancient to industrial periods the rail started out as wood and as time goes on they started putting a metal strap on top of the wood rail. When the weight of the mine cars goes up then metal rail comes in. With Dwarves all bets are off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2018

Just great. I wouldn't mine if you do a map for me sometime - I would love an underground mining complex for the various dwarf regions in Artemisia, but have no flair for underground areas.
    • CommentAuthorTopdecker
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2018

These are really good - thank you for sharing them. I love maps that tell a story! Top
    • CommentAuthormattekure
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2018

Thanks. The feedback from everyone here was a huge help. I've run the little adventure these maps were made for 4 times now and have gotten really positive feedback at each one.

And Quenten, if you have an idea of something you'd like me to try, I'm happy to take a stab at it.