link to map

When I click on the 'link to map' button on the tool bar, or select the option on the menu, CC3+ asks for the opposite corner location then puts in a grid box.

It does not ask URL or anything, does not seem to know that I am wanting to link one map to another.

Using Windows XP on an offline system. Have CC3+, Fractal Terrains, and The Tome installed.
I am a new user (less than two weeks), have browsed a number of .FCS maps, followed most of the CC3+ tutorial, step-by-step.

Any suggestions or have seen similar issue?
Thank you much.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I think... (and I only think because its been a couple of years since I used this feature just once) that the box is to select the area of the current map where you want the link to exist.

I might, however, be entirely wrong!
  • I thought that too. But it does not let me choose the first corner. It uses the bottom left of the map as the first corner then only wants the second corner. It then inserts a grid box.

If I try again, I get a second grid box, attached to the right side of the first one.

I was trying to link a hotspot on a map to a second map.???
  • I may be asking this question on the wrong place/forum? Perhaps I have an error/bug?

I was trying to follow the instructions in the Tome for making an interactive atlas.
    Things just did not go as described. So I am confused. (Technically challenged according to a 14yr old grand daughter)

(My world has been under construction for 40 plus years (IRL) seven continents, two moons, nine nations (so far), ... etc.
    I chose CC3+ when I saw the interactive atlas capability. I have used Autocad, GIMP, MS Office, LibreOffice, and a plethora of other methods, including handdrawn to fabricate maps. Volumes worth of data, I need a way to display the world now, as a couple of novels and an online game are nearing first release points.)

Thanks for any help or guidance.
    God bless all offspring! :P

This is the right forum. The Tome's authors are here. Its just that its the wrong time of night for any of them to be around right now. That's why I gave answering your question a shot - so you didn't go completely unanswered for several hours.

And don't worry about the technical thing. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about regarding interactive atlases, so you are clearly far more knowledgeable than I am :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2018
    Hi Manfred. Welcome to CC3+ and the ProFantasy Forum!

When you click the Link with Map [CC3+ Button Image] button (or select Tools>Hyperlinks>Link with Map from the menu) CC3+ should display a dialog box that lets you choose the map that you want to link to (an FCW file on your system). Once you pick a map and click Open in the dialog (it won't actually open the file), then you draw your rectangular hot spot on the current map.

Do you have this problem on other maps too?

Have you installed the latest update (Update 17a)? If not, I highly recommend that you download it from your registration page (same place you download CC3+) and then run it by right-clicking the setup file icon and selecting Run as Administrator from the popup menu.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    edited July 2018
    A little bird told me other people have encountered this same issue. Not many, but some. The button is running the wrong macro.

Please try running the update, as I mentioned above, even if you've run it before (in which case, choose "Repair" if prompted).

EDIT: If the problem persists, you can work around it by simply typing LINKM and then pressing Enter. It runs the macro via the command line rather than from a button or menu.
    Apparently, using the command line may not work either, apparently. ProFantasy is aware of the issue and is looking into it.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    edited July 2018
    Manfred, I recommend you contact Technical Support, to see if they can help.

As Loopysue wrote, they're in Europe so they probably won't get back to you right away, but they will get back to you.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thanks much. I did install the update earlier, but will try to re-run it. If that does not work, will contact Tech support.

Mostly glad it sounds like it is not something I am doing wrong.

Late here, will try in the morning.

BTW I am more than a little patient - like I stated above - this is a work-in-progress for over 40 years, so waiting for reply from Europe is no problem.

thanks again to both Loopysue and Dogtag for your help.
  • I re-executed the 17a update for CC3+. Issue remains.

However, right near the end of the update execution, a statement is made that says the installation program will fetch the latest macro file. Since my WindowsXP systems are no longer connected to the Internet, I have to click the CANCEL button on the Internet connection pop-up.

I am wondering if, since the installation of the update cannot download the macro file, I need to get the file?

If so, how do I get the file and how do I install it?

Thanks in advance, if this is the cause of my troubles.
    How very interesting!

I never realised 17a was dependent on being online in any way.

Just goes to show how things have changed since the days when it was normal to only go online for special occasions - to contact a specific person or whatever. I hadn't thought about it, but these days its unusual to not be online.
  • I think that anyone looking at this thread, should not worry about it today!

The World Cup is in progress and one country that has not won since 1966 is looking pretty good at the moment!

I think the ProFantasy designers may be focused elsewhere just in case that country wins. :)

And I can wait, I'm patient, and have a number of other projects that need attention anyway. :)

@Loopysue having systems offline is a pain, but less of a pain than having to upgrade costly software (a couple of CAD software packages in particular) and hardware on a regular basis, at least for a retired person. Linux solved this issue for me for most things I need to be online for, so Windows is retired too, for me. :)

I have checked various other functions of CC3+ and they seem to work fine. So I will wait and see.
    I guess it really shows that I'm not a football fan :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Online isn't a requirement, but it does try to download the most recent macro and menu files from the internet if online, allows ProFantasy to fix the files if necessary without having to put out a completely new patch. This is also one of the reasons that re-running an update may be helpful even if it is already installed.
    But if you don't have internet, it will just use the files bundled in the installer instead.
  • I had contacted Tech Support about this issue, in parallel with this forum.

This morning the issue was fixed,

Tech Support (Ralf) sent a fcw32.mac file to me.
    I replaced the one in my applications data folder with the one from Tech Support.

The tool bars seem to be working just fine now. Voila!

This comment added in case it helps anyone with a similar issue.

Thank you - to everybody that assisted with this.
    Glad it's solved. Happy mapping!