More for Quenten

Continuing my mapping project for Quenten's Stromphe City on the island of Artemisia, here I present "Kýrie Milés Bellaphon's Little Shop of Sundries"

Still to do is the "little" cellar below the shop.

Comments

• Wonder what the other 2 buildings are. Jerry is doing wonders for the city. Thank you very much.
  • Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    He's a bloody machine. Well oiled too.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    Here's the cellar level. Should the rooms be decorated or left up to the viewer's imagination??

And Quenten, it's your city, what should I make the buildings to raise or lower the neighborhood's quality??

I'm quite happy with how the other buildings turned out, 4 sheets to give it the look,
    one for the flat with no effects.
    one for the W and N slanting sides with a minor black glow effect
    one for the E and S slanting sides with stronger black glow and directional wall shadow
    one for the lines around each of the areas with no effect
    the sheets stacked as listed above.
    there is a transparency level between the base map and the small shop with a transparency of 25% and a blur of 5.
  • Jerry, I have to think about the names/functions of the surrounding buildings. I think the warehouse (C) would probably be a mixed storage and small shops building, with some residences - say "Cleitus Emporuim and Storage" (also clearing house and retailer of stolen goods). These are my thoughts on the others. The pawnshop (which could also house an accounting firm well known for imaginative accounting practices) could also be a front for a thieves'guild (especially since so close to a drug manufacturer and a brothel). Perhaps the square building in the right hand corner could be the HQ of a trade union - Stevedore's United or some such, with hostel accommodation as well as a front for gang of 'enforcers'. The purple building could be a inwardly sumptious dwelling of the local crimelord who 'owns' the pawnshop, warehouse, brothel, and union building, and the green building could be a local school/library - they do have these in Stromphe, where literacy is quite high. Good to have an 'innocent' building among the other not so nice ones. Each building would be quite well appointed though - not a down and out area, just a criminal HQ area. It won't even be dangerous - security here would be tight - it is just that this is the HQ area for those who make OTHER places dangerous. All these other buildings are 2-3 stories high.

Maybe add a few trees or other street/yard decoration to indicate its quality - lower middle class, and not seedy. (Just criminal)

That is the trouble with starting imaginations off - you have just invented the Stromphe Mob. And I thought you such a nice law-abiding type!

BTW, no picture of the cellar level here.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    Oops pic to be added tomorrow. Purple is a brothel, the pawnshop building really isn't big enough for many other businesses, as it is the delivery point where smuggled goods from the wharf are brought up to be "redeemed." Being only a single story building surrounded by taller ones, not much light would get down to vegetation as well as the alleys between the southern buildings is only five feet or 2 meters wide.

Will add a park on the south side of the road from the brown building.
  • On the south side there is actually an Inn/tavern. Perhaps make the green building the crimelord's dwelling, and forget the school. I grant you the point about the light and alleys. I still like the idea of the upper level of the pawnshop being the accounting firm for the crimelord. I do like the whole cellar are covering the whole block. Also, all buildings in the block are 2-3 storey except the Sundries shop. I can see you doing all the buildings in this block sometime in the future. ;)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    These are all very exiting maps :)

Quenten - the white glow on your black labels is confused by anything black underlying the label, which is causing the interference patterns over the black lines in the map below them. Try turning the labels the darkest brown, or the darkest grey, and you may just get rid of those irritating little white lines in the labels.
  • This is just a very high blow up of the Dockside map already in the Atlas
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    "Finished" ground level
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    and the missing cellar level, still pondering whether to decorate or leave the rooms aesthetically bare :-)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Very nice :)

Have you ever considered using a text sheet without any effects at all for the title and legend text? It doesn't really need a glow when the background is pale and relatively smooth - like paper.