How to make a DD3 Template

I'm not sure if this has been brought up or if their are tutorials out there.

I need to make a DD3 Hex template. So each map will be Hex shaped with a Hex grid inside. There are a few on in the down load section HERE But the internal hex size is wrong and I only need one hex grid within the larger Hex not two.

I need the internal hex to be 1 inch or slightly over is fine as well. I also would like to know how to make that mask they use to keep objects, drawings from showing up outside the immediate template border.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Start out with an empty drawing (Use any template, then erase everything on it)
    Create the map shape by drawing a grid of huge hexes. CC3 sometimes complains if you try to draw just one hex, so you may need to draw a grid that is larger than the desired map. Each hex in the grid should be equal to the map size. Explode the grid, then delete all the lines you don't need. You should end up with just one single hex. Move it to the "Map Border" layer.

Draw another hex grid, this time with the desired grid size. Since you only gave the print size, I don't know how large the hexes should be, but most people want 5 or 10 feet to be 1 inch on print, so go for the appropriate value. Draw the grid so that it fills the map shape, then delete any part of the grid outside the map shape (You may need to explode it first). Leave it on the HEX/SQUARE grid layer

To create the mask that hides entities, create a new sheet called "Mask" (Or whatever you prefer). Then just draw a couple of white solid polygons on the outside of the map shape. Make sure to follow it exactly (Use the modifier commands to accomplish this). Make sure the Mask sheet is last in the drawing order, because this will cause it to be drawn on top of everything else, effectively hiding every other entity that extends beyond the map border. Make sure to keep this sheet last if you add other sheets.

Save it as a template.