Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorGThiel
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2018 edited

Is there some reason why the amount of text in a multi-line text field is limited to something less than 200 characters?

When adding room/building names in a legend or a shortish description of the reason for then map, I find I often have to add multiple text fields to display the text.

Attached is an example of a map I have just finished, and the level description is in 3 different sections.
      Custom 12.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2018

I second Jerry's comments
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2018

That's an old limitation in the basic engine. Improving text handling and options is definitely on our wish list for future versions!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I usually get around it by setting up a version of the grid that is exactly one line width. Then aligning the blocks is a lot easier using snap.
    • CommentAuthorpvernon

If I have a long text I use a reference to a file with the text in it. In the section below the text on the right side is in a separate txt file.
      wind 3.PNG
    • CommentAuthorpvernon

I also use this technique in my game aids to simplify my life. I build a chart or table as a text file then in my map/game aid I reference the file. That way if an error is found in the chart or table one fix fixes all of the maps that reference that file. In the below example the two gun tables, the critical hit table and the copyright are all references to txt files.
      20m GR Do17 part.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

How do you do a reference to a text file?

And can you specify the display font?
    • CommentAuthorpvernon
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2018 edited

Go to the text window, right side "Get File", click and it will give you a navigation window, find the file you need. Use standard file reference shortcuts.
    Fonts and placement is as normal for adding text.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Unbelievable!

I've been using this software for over 2 years now, and I've never even noticed that button!

Thank you :D
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

I keep hoping that people won't notice features like that so that they can accidentally go away. If they stay away unnoticed for long enough, it might become permanent. Now I have to take included files off the list of potential simplifications.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Just tried it - works well (but only for text files). Please don't take this feature away, Jo
    • CommentAuthorjslayton
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2018

Things can't disappear that people notice and use. Unimportant stuff that nobody uses, though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Consider it noticed and used, sir. :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: LoopysueUnbelievable!

I've been using this software for over 2 years now, and I've never even noticed that button!

Thank you :D

And I've been using this software around 10 years... I never noticed it either.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oops.

Sorry Joe!
    • CommentAuthorGThiel

Is the text part of the FCW file, or must they be shared along with the FCW and placed in the same directory structure as they were in when originally created?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I would imagine so - like a symbol. Its only referenced after all.

I was thinking about this a lot in the context of your map since the possibility came to light, Jerry, since yours is an Atlas map, and I decided it was probably for the best that you had worked to add the text in the usual way rather than referencing it.

I'm definitely using it for non Atlas maps, though, since it really beats having to chop everything up into small portions and then stick them back together in what hopefully looks like a continuous block of text.
    • CommentAuthorGThiel

I am planning on putting the text on the maps in the normal way, as I don't want to make more work for Remy (or myself for that matter).
    • CommentAuthorpvernon

The text file is separate and must be kept in the same relationship to the FCW file as it was when you first referenced it. Just a second I think you can explode it and have all the text in the map. Be right back.
    • CommentAuthorpvernon

Drat, no that did not work.