Future MacOS version?

I don't suppose there's any chance of macOS version in the dim and distant future, is there? I'm not meaning something like CrossOver or Bootcamp and then run CC+ on top of that. I'm a Mac user but I have to use CC+ on a Windows PC, not having any WinOS (legal or otherwise) and it's nowhere as easy to use. I'd be content (kinda) if it was a pared down version...........

Helen

Comments

• I don't see how there could be in anytime soon (i.e. years). CC3+ uses the CAD engine FASTCAD which is a rather old graphics kernel. Even moving it to 64 bit is a challenge.

All that said, I've never heard anything official one way or another (about a Mac port or a 64 bit port).
  • I didn't really expect a 'yes'. My post was more of a wishful hope than anything else.
  • 6 days later
  • Posted By: HelenAAI don't suppose there's any chance of macOS version in the dim and distant future, is there? I'm not meaning something like CrossOver or Bootcamp and then run CC+ on top of that. I'm a Mac user but I have to use CC+ on a Windows PC, not having any WinOS (legal or otherwise) and it's nowhere as easy to use. I'd be content (kinda) if it was a pared down version...........

Helen
    You do not have to use CC3+ on a windows machine and you don't need a copy of any WinOS to get it running.. I am running CC3+ on High Sierra with Wineskin and after changing the icon it feels right at home on my Mac. If it is an OCD thing, you will never get relief. It's never coming to MacOS because there is no need.
  • PeteFPeteF Traveler
    edited July 2018
    Posted By: dudeslife
    Posted By: HelenAAI don't suppose there's any chance of macOS version in the dim and distant future, is there? I'm not meaning something like CrossOver or Bootcamp and then run CC+ on top of that. I'm a Mac user but I have to use CC+ on a Windows PC, not having any WinOS (legal or otherwise) and it's nowhere as easy to use. I'd be content (kinda) if it was a pared down version...........

Helen
    You do not have to use CC3+ on a windows machine and you don't need a copy of any WinOS to get it running.. I am running CC3+ on High Sierra with Wineskin and after changing the icon it feels right at home on my Mac. If it is an OCD thing, you will never get relief. It's never coming to MacOS because there is no need.
    So why do Adobe and all the other developers that have Mac and Windows products do so?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    To me, that's a bit like asking why some trees fork at the base, and why some do not.

I dare say if these other software companies had never bothered to create macOS versions, then someone would have ensured that the Windows version was compatible using something like Wineskin :)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited July 2018
    Posted By: PeteFSo why do Adobe and all the other developers that have Mac and Windows products do so?
    I would hazard a guess that it's because those developers started their products out on the Mac and later ported it to other platforms. Some such products may have been targeted at an intermediate graphical layer that's designed to run on multiple platforms.
    CC3+ is based on a Windows program that happens to be quite amenable to running under a platform emulator such as the Wine family of products. Due to the way that CC3+ is implemented, however, would require pretty much a complete rewrite (a huge amount of effort) to natively target anything other than Windows. Putting such a large amount of effort into producing such a version is likely not justified from a business perspective.
  • PeteFPeteF Traveler
    I don't agree with the idea that this product is easy to use with Wine on the Mac. I should start by saying that I use it on a Mac bootcamp volume and it works well. In contrast I find that Wine is quite difficult to set up on an up to date Mac and frankly doesn't work fully for me at the moment. For example the sheet styles dialog constantly fails to appear. I just reloaded it with the latest versions to confirm that this is still the case on my MacBook. I am sure that there are workarounds to these issues but most people just want to draw maps!

In contest native Mac apps are designed to work transparently without the user worrying about technical issues.

I suppose I was challenging the comment "It's never coming to MacOS because there is no need." This is not true. As pointed out above it is not coming to the Mac because it is not realistically possible for this to happen.

From a positive point of view for anyone reading these forums I would tell any Mac users that CC3+ works well on a Windows 10 Bootcamp volume and this would certainly be my recommended way of using it on an Apple.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Works well with Wine on Linux ;)
  • PeteFPeteF Traveler
    That is good to know :) I think Apple ploughs their own furrow when it comes to the whole Unix thing and, from experience, doesn't make it easy for developers/programmers on OSX these days. That's one reason I'm gradually migrating back to Windows. Sorry - this is now terribly off topic.
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    MacOS is based on BSD, not Linux, isn't it? Very similar, but you get annoying little differences (like what you're experiencing).

I think it's less "there's no need" than "the potential market isn't large enough to be worth the cost of developing it." This is not entirely because the potential market is small, but also because the amount of work it would take is quite large.

(I can't help but wonder if there would be licensing issues with the FastCAD code base, too, but that's really none of our business.)
  • A lot of Mac users feel that if they have to spend 5-10 minutes configuring, setting up, or learning how to do something new, it's a problem. I am a long time Mac user and have found this to be quite common. Regardless of what the "true" reason for not having a Mac version is, the undeniable truth is that it's not needed. Learn to embrace Wine because with Apple's total disregard for the Mac the past few years, not many developers will waste the time or money on it.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    This has been a question that's been with us for a long time. Our code base is not easily amenable to adaptation and about 82% of desktop installs are PCs. A split installation also requires additional support and development. If we were to deploy resources to create a mac version, those resources would be taken from our existing development plan for a new version, and for other add-ons. The fact that CC3+ works well on macs under emulation makes it less necessary.

I think the only reasonable way we could develop a mac version would be by means of a crowdfunding effort, and it would have to be low seven figures. I don't see the market is there for that.

We are much more likely to do something on a mobile platform (a viewer and simple editor) and even that's pretty unlikely.

@taustinoe we own the code base. It's very far from what it was, there is just a kernel of very clever low level functions left from years ago, and they are being gradually rewritten.
  • 2 months later
  • I'm using a late 2012 iMac that is Mojave compliant, but the installation says that I must remove Boot Camp and will no longer be able to use Windows. I used Boot Camp for CC3+ and FT3. I have downloaded Crossover, which is Mojave compatible, and attempted to follow the installation instructions on the ProFantasy website, circa 2015. It's failing for several reasons, some of which may be caused because the instructions no longer match Crossover (and perhaps CC3+).
    While I recognize that some developers don't feel that they will receive a return on investment for an alternate platform, I think that's partly due to using old code and design practices. At some point, many developers find it's time to modernize their base or become obsolete themselves. I hope ProFantasy takes that thought to heart, rather than casual dismissal that the effort to modernize and embrace other platforms is too hard to do.
    But, in the near term, I would appreciate someone on the development side stepping up and providing better tech description or instructions on how to load and use their software on the other platforms. At some point, you might find someone else has leapfrogged over you and attracted away your business base. Hopefully, you can find a way to keep the other 20% happy.
    Thanks, and if I've missed a place with better tech support for me, point me in that direction.
  • suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler
    A number of us including me run CC3+ quite successfully under crossover , i myself have it running on a Mojave system so if you need any help let me know as i have everything that Profantasy has in its catalog installed including supplemental items like bogie

Rob
  • Posted By: GW1230I'm using a late 2012 iMac that is Mojave compliant, but the installation says that I must remove Boot Camp and will no longer be able to use Windows. I used Boot Camp for CC3+ and FT3. I have downloaded Crossover, which is Mojave compatible, and attempted to follow the installation instructions on the ProFantasy website, circa 2015. It's failing for several reasons, some of which may be caused because the instructions no longer match Crossover (and perhaps CC3+).
    While I recognize that some developers don't feel that they will receive a return on investment for an alternate platform, I think that's partly due to using old code and design practices. At some point, many developers find it's time to modernize their base or become obsolete themselves. I hope ProFantasy takes that thought to heart, rather than casual dismissal that the effort to modernize and embrace other platforms is too hard to do.
    But, in the near term, I would appreciate someone on the development side stepping up and providing better tech description or instructions on how to load and use their software on the other platforms. At some point, you might find someone else has leapfrogged over you and attracted away your business base. Hopefully, you can find a way to keep the other 20% happy.
    Thanks, and if I've missed a place with better tech support for me, point me in that direction.
    Another option is Wineskin which is how I run CC3+ on my macbook pro 2017

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3298