Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2018

How do you make one of those tiling frame designs?

I know they are made with symbols, but how do you plan them. What are the limitations on the design, and what are the things not to do?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2018

I've never made frames from scratch, but there are some items I have used to make frames.

Annual 23: Welcome to November issue of the Cartographer’s Annual 2008 is about map borders.

I remember some 'crystal mosaic' bitmaps that I have used as map borders in the past. I don't remember when in CC2/CC3 days I got them. I don't see them in my folders.
    So I created this one for my Undermountain maps. I had to do a bunch of math. The driving factor for this one was I wanted to print to a 24x36" poster map. Such a map needs a bleed etc area outside the border. So I ended up doing a bunch of math to find several edge borders, border widths, and corner piece sizes so that the height and width had a number of segments that were even. I can get you the exact number I used etc if it's of interest to you.
      Screen Shot 06-23-18 at 01.42 PM.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2018

Thanks for the tip, Jim :)

LE - that's a very kind offer - thanks, but I've got loads of figures of my own already. That's a really handsome frame as well.

I was hoping that someone would have made one of those linking symbol things where you just define a line and they lay themselves out end to end, resulting in an instant frame in a matter of seconds. I was hoping to pick up a few hints and tips on what to avoid attempting - to save a bit of time.

I thought that if I could knock a few of those out they would make a really handy addition to the community art collection when it happens :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

You're welcome.

'Persian glass' is, I think, one of the border bitmap fills... but I still cannot find it. I don't think they are in the Annuals.

Found it. CC3Plus\Bitmaps\Tiles\Perspectives\Bitmap A

Below is one of them.
      Tile Persian Glass_HI.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's pretty :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2018

Yeah. I know its likely difficult to make these, but I owuld love to have a set of fancy tiles to use as map borders, or floor plans.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I have that pattern in Genetica. I could make a different version of it, maybe varicolour?

All this is after about 7 other major projects ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Not for now... unless you want to. I'm taking a break from map making. I have an antenna coax to fix, teenager with weed eater broke it; and start going through things to give away, trash, etc. I've put it off for years.
    • CommentAuthorKenG
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2018

Can you use the symbol along path to create something like this?