Cropping a symbol?

Hey folks. I've recently come back to using CC3/DD3, but I'm running into a minor problem. There are occasionally some symbols I want to use only a portion of, instead of the whole symbol. Is it possible to crop or split a symbol in half? I've tried everything I can think of (which probably isn't much), and still not having any luck.

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Assuming it is a raster symbol, the answer is no.

You could do it by editing the image used for the symbol in an image editor, saving the edit as a copy, and importing the edited symbol as a new symbol, but CC3(+) itself cannot manipulate images.
    The other option, where appropriate, is to cover up the part of the symbol you don't need, but that isn't always appropriate.

(If it is an "old-fashioned" vector symbol, you can simply explode it to be able to manipulate the parts)
  • Alright, that's a quick and easy answer. The one's I'm most interested in using for this are newer symbols. Thanks for the help!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If you are familiar with using a bitmap editor like GIMP, the best way to go about modifying symbols is to use a transparency mask to paint out the bits you don't want. Using a mask means that you aren't actually erasing the image, but only hiding it. Then export the visible result and save the GIMP file somewhere.

That way, you can go back to the GIMP file and touch up your modifications if you have masked too much, or not enough.