Find Symbol Catalog File

How do I tell which FSC file a particular symbol definition in my map is located? I made some custom symbols and I can't remember which file they are saved in.

Thanks,
Daniel

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2018
    I don't know if there's any way to find the specific FSC file. However, if it's a bitmap symbol, you can use the LIST command on the symbol  (Info>List from the menu or type LIST and press Enter). That will show a FILENAME attribute and will identify a path for the symbol's bitmap (PNG). Catalogs are often found within the bitmap's path.

For a great primer on LIST, check out Monsen's excellent first Command of the Week forum post.
  • 6 months later
  • I would also like to know this. LIST didn't work for me; it told me the name of the symbol in the catalog but not the name of the catalog it is in. I'm working on a map for first time in years and want to use the same catalogs for my edits.

I found symbol manager, which gave a lot of great options, but not this.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Symbol definitions are copied to the map on the first use, there is no information stored related to which symbol catalog it originally came from.

The only way to find it to use some guesswork. If you use the List button inside the symbol manager, you can see the list of the individual elements of the symbol itself, which will let you see the file name of the image, assuming it is a raster symbol. From the path of the image file, you should have a reasonable way of finding the symbol catalog too.
    If it was a vector symbol it gets way more difficult though, because these don't contain images with filenames, so there is no way to trace them.
  • Yuck. Well, at least I don't feel bad about not being able to sniff out the command/info on my own. For now, I'll make do with changing some infrequently used symbols out and just using copy on the more oft-used ones.

Thanks for the hand. Again. Cheers!
  • 1 year later
  • edited January 2020
    Well, I really have this problem. I stumbled across some nice modern map symbols as seen below. I carefully noted the location, wrote it down, and in a senior moment, it has vanished from my memory.

I remember I found it by looking at a PDF Look Up Sheet that had several pages and the last was labeled Modern.

When I used the symbol in a particular map, it loads with that map, but all the other available ones of course do not.

I used the List command to find the symbol name and it was M-Deciduous Forest CA85 which made me look in the modern category and then I thought, aha, it must be in CA85 which is the WW2 map annual, but I didn't see it there. I keep thinking it would be in the SS2 or SS3 sets, but no joy there apparently.

Hopefully there is someone with better searching-fu than I have or a better memory and help me out. This has been 3 hours of my day trying to refind this stupid FSC. ARGHHH.

And I just tried using the Search file in text which appears to have crashed the program.
  • [UPDATE} Well, somehow I found it. It was located at Program Data > Profantasy > CC3Plus > Symbols> Modern> Overland > Overland.FSC

For anyone who is interested, I took a screenshot of the contents.