Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthordbcopeland
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2018

How do I tell which FSC file a particular symbol definition in my map is located? I made some custom symbols and I can't remember which file they are saved in.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2018 edited

I don't know if there's any way to find the specific FSC file. However, if it's a bitmap symbol, you can use the LIST command on the symbol  (Info>List from the menu or type LIST and press Enter). That will show a FILENAME attribute and will identify a path for the symbol's bitmap (PNG). Catalogs are often found within the bitmap's path.

For a great primer on LIST, check out Monsen's excellent first Command of the Week forum post.
    • CommentAuthorweogarth
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2019

I would also like to know this. LIST didn't work for me; it told me the name of the symbol in the catalog but not the name of the catalog it is in. I'm working on a map for first time in years and want to use the same catalogs for my edits.

I found symbol manager, which gave a lot of great options, but not this.

•  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Symbol definitions are copied to the map on the first use, there is no information stored related to which symbol catalog it originally came from.

The only way to find it to use some guesswork. If you use the List button inside the symbol manager, you can see the list of the individual elements of the symbol itself, which will let you see the file name of the image, assuming it is a raster symbol. From the path of the image file, you should have a reasonable way of finding the symbol catalog too.
    If it was a vector symbol it gets way more difficult though, because these don't contain images with filenames, so there is no way to trace them.
    • CommentAuthorweogarth

Yuck. Well, at least I don't feel bad about not being able to sniff out the command/info on my own. For now, I'll make do with changing some infrequently used symbols out and just using copy on the more oft-used ones.

Thanks for the hand. Again. Cheers!