Edited Symbols Effect Problems

I've edited a few building symbols by adding a shape on top to create a black/white symbol. This is for a Middle-Earth CCG map in case you are curious. However, when I apply an effect to the symbol, my addition goes away.
I'll attached before and after pics to show what is happening. The icon at the bottom left is the one that is affected. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

Comments

• dbcopelanddbcopeland Newcomer
    edited June 2018
    Here's the after pic. The only thing I did between the two pics was apply a blur affect to the icons on the bottom row.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited June 2018
    If you are using the same file name as the original the Symbol Manager will confuse the two of them and show only the one that was first defined in the map.

Its best to give new symbols unique filenames. For example, if you have "Tower 01" in the original set, you might want to call your own version "Tower [your initials] 01"

EDIT: I was referring to the actual png file names, not the names of the symbols that appear in the Symbol Manager (which can be different to the filenames). To keep things simple I would recommend not changing the names from within the Symbol Manager, as that may prove to be confusing if you come back to this map a few months later.
  • Hmmm. What I did was make a new copy of the tower symbol and then edited it by adding white diagonal on the bottom half that you see in the first image. The symbol has been renamed. I'm admittedly still a bit confused on how CC3 handles symbols, so maybe I didn't edit the original symbol in the correct way.
    How did you import the new symbol?
  • dbcopelanddbcopeland Newcomer
    edited June 2018
    Posted By: LoopysueHow did you import the new symbol?
    Wish I could remember! I did this over a year ago and am just now getting back to it. I just started another discussion where I'm trying to figure out where the .fsc file is located. I know how to add new symbols, but I'm not sure how to find the file of a symbol that is already on my map.

-Daniel
    I think there's a way, but I can't remember it now.

Unless you created the catalogue in a way far removed from the way described in the Tome, it won't be that far away from the folder containing the symbols.

Maybe locate the folder containing the png files (which should be somewhere in the Symbols folder), and look for it in the near vicinity?

It would help if you could remember some or all of the catalogue name.