Altitude lines on FT climate map

Hello all,

I picked up FT3 recently and I'm using it to create Traveller style world maps.

What I tend to do is use GIMP to create a masked layer of the topographical map leaving in the oceans and seas. Lay that over the climate map (with a tailored colour scheme for the vegetation) in another layer and then stick a slightly exaggerated ice cap in a third layer. What I'd like to do next is add altitude lines to the land masses instead of using colour coding. I don't think I can trace out altitude lines within FT3. How could I manipulate a topographical map in GIMP to just get the outlines of the height zones rather than whole slabs of colour? Anyone tried this before?

Thanks

ARR

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If you also have CC3+ you can export the altitude as a series of contour lines. You can even dictate what spacing they are in the export setup. Unfortunately these will be on a white background, not a transparent one.

There may be other ways to do this, since FT3 can export to a whole raft of different file types. I just don't know about them.
  • FT3 will allow you to use just altitude outlines (coloured or not) rather than fills. Go into the save menu when you save your map, and you will see it for yourself. Also exporting it to CC3 can be done, and just use the altitude outlines (coloured or not) as the export, and get rid of the white background, if that is a problem via a photo manipulation program (eg photoshop)
    What am I thinking!

To get rid of the white in a GIMP file just change the mode of the layer to multiply. All gone :)
  • Thanks.

I've found the CC3 export contour line options but not the options for placing them to allow viewing within FT3 (or an exported photo), what I can see in the save options are the various file types available.
  • Alright, so I've found the (an?)other option, and it looks like it also adds the contour data to a set of exported images rather than being able to view them as contours natively in FT3. Not quite sure how I can use it for an icosahedral whole planet map but I guess it gives me something to work with, especially when I get CC3+ and Cosmographer.
  • Just use Grid Settings(under Map) in FT3, and set your grid intervals as to what you want. I use white in FT3 as it shows better, but you can choose any colour. The save will then include these grid lines for you.
    You can export an Icosahedral projection...

I'm a bit confused. You mentioned working in GIMP, but then you talked about viewing things in FT3. (its ok, Its really easy to confuse me ;) )
  • You guys are too helpful!

I'll plug away a bit more and then get back to you. I should take a closer read of the documentation first.

Thank you very much.
  • You can also export in Icosahedron maps in a Traveller map template. If you don't want it in Traveller after export, just delete the bits for that game.

I've exported maps in pieces, and selected some of them for tracing in CC3 as islands.