A few questions for the wise

Hi, just a few questions today. Sorry if they have been answered before, couldn't find.

1) The map units on a dungeon map - are they measured as feet, or miles (like with overland maps)?

2) I want to make my campaign setting cities somewhat realistic in size/scope. What kind of map size do you suggest (using City Designer 3+) for a population of 500, 1000, 5,000, 10,000, 100,000?

3) From what I understand, it is possible to make your own icons and stuff to add to maps. Is there a guide somewhere on how to accomplish this?

Thanks for your time, it is appreciated.
Wolfheart

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    1) Feet (or meters, if you start a metric map)

3) Basics for this is explained in the Symbols and Symbol Management chapter in the manual, most relevant part is the importing PNGs as symbols on page 76.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    2) City size for a given number of people is highly variable. It depends how many people live in each dwelling, the size of each dwelling, and whether there are gardens associated with each dwelling. For example, in the Victorian era in the UK it was quite normal for 18 people to live in a single small Victorian city house - several families living in the same building - one on each floor, with all of them living and sleeping in the same room. I'm talking about the poor people, of course, but the huge majority of the population were poor. So you would do better to decide how many people per dwelling, and then count all the dwellings.