Modern and futuristic symbol sets for Overland maps?

I know that when people think of gaming and map making, people usually think of fantasy, hence all of the styles for fantasy map making. I also know that there is a modern symbol set... for CD3 (or is it DD3?).

But what about modern or futuristic styles for overland map making? There are some games out there that can (and do) take place in the present, and even in the future! There's Mech Warrior and Battle Tech (old games, but still played), there are the White Wolf games (Vampire, Werewolf, Scion) There's Star Trek and Rifts (where you can end up anywhere and any WHEN), not to mention what ever home brew our creative minds can think up!

Case in point, my Cantebury WIP, that I've been struggling on a bit lately, is a game that takes place in our universe (somewhat), and is a futuristic game. It's also set far enough into the future that our current Earth could have changed, and there are hundreds of planets that have now been colonized...

So what are the chances of a modern style, or symbol set, happening for CC3+?

Comments

• The only overland ones I can think of that are futuristic are Cosmographer ones. Those are mostly downports and associated buildings.

There are such for CD3 as well, but not many. The majority are fantasy or 'Middle Ages'.

Looking on my computer: Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Cities\CD3\Vector Classic has CD3DModern.fsc, Moon Dwellings.fsc, and Skyscraper.fsc.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2018
    SS3 contains the resources for making modern maps, but it is inspired by real modern maps, which only uses very simple symbols and markers, not the elaborate symbols used in fantasy maps.
    Cos 3 is similar in approach.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I'm not sure I would know what a modern isometric regional map would look like, Storm. The land would be just the same - mountains, forests, deserts etc. Is it just the modern city, town and village symbols you are lacking, or a whole lot more than that?

Just curious, since I have absolutely no time whatsoever to draw anything of high enough quality to mix with Schley or any of the other styles.
  • Yes, that's what I'm asking about. A complete symbol set, much like that which comes with cc3+, only difference, would be the cities, towns, villages and what not, would be modernized, with things like sky scrapers, and such. The roads would look like lined pavement or railroad tracks. With little cars and trains. And modern looking ships. The mountains and forests, and cartouches would probably stay the same... but have a more realistic modern look. Then there could also be a futuristic looking one, with monorail lines, and domed cities, with hover craft, and futuristic air ships... that sort of thing. And it might even work with cosmographer. sort of...
    edited June 2018
    So really, what you are asking for at the smaller end of the ask is 2 sets of brand new overland symbols - the modern one being the smaller set, since the futuristic/apocalyptic one requires far more than a set of city, town and village symbols. And all that is only if anyone can imitate one or more of the existing overland styles.

Hmmmm…

It would be an interesting project. I have no idea if I could imitate any of them, since I've never tried. I'm also not sure if imitating another artist's style would be plagiarism, or copyright infringement, or something like that, but to look good with a certain style the symbols would definitely have to try and imitate it... But not even all these really interesting thoughts and ideas change the fact that I simply don't have the time.

I wonder if there is anyone else who does?
  • I'm not sure if this will be large enough to see but I made this today to try my hand at making future type symbols.
  • This is great. What about the corpses from loss of the dome's shielding - or zombies, of course
  • Thanks Quenten. I wish I were good enough to draw that kind of thing but I haven't been able to draw the human form yet without it looking like a stick figure :P
  • Sue, I think you misunderstand... I wasn't asking anyone to imitate another's style. I was more asking if it's possible for a new symbol set to come out for overland maps with a modern/futuristic feel to it. I was thinking it could be an extension of what is already there in the CC3+ base set.

Tonnichiwa, that's really good!
    Weeeeell……… usually if a set of symbols 'go with' an existing overland style, they are fairly similarly drawn, using similar line widths and hardness/softness, and shaded and coloured in a very similar style to the overland style. They are drawn in a style so similar that they *might* have been drawn by the same artist. So yes - I'd say it was mimicking a style.

But don't get all worried about it at such an early stage when no one has even seriously considered mimicking anyone else. I don't even know if mimicking an existing artist's work would be a problem - providing it was made clear that the new work was not the work of the original artist, and providing the new art was not simply repeating the work of the original artist (eg a new city icon that was only fractionally different to one of the old ones).

Does anyone know anything about where the rights lie in this matter? It all seems a bit hazy to me. I'd like to know, because if I ever get time I would rather like to have a go at something like this myself.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2018
    I think it's much ado about nothing. Many symbols are designed to complement existing styles/art, including several issues of the annual.
    I really believe you are right Dogtag. Its just that I do have something of a strong tendency to be very much more cautious about these things nowadays.

LOL! I'd rather see the brick wall and be able to stop before I run into the darn thing at 80 miles an hour this time ;)
  • Thanks Ladiestorm! I'm going to be making more as I think of them. I want all kinds of things from monorails to crashed space ships that have been turned into cities, to weird looking pump stations, to whole cities suspended from large poles and hanging on chains, and anything else I can think of.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    I have seen some 3rd party modern and futuristic symbols. They are not made for PF products but can be used with them. The style probably wouldn't match CC3+ symbols, however (they don't use the directional colored-coded shading on roofs of buildings, etc.). I've not used them myself yet as I've yet to have any call to do a modern or futuristic map.
  • Well, my maps seldom show a concern for the direction shading... one of my failings, or benefits.

I would be interested in modern and futuristic overhead symbols.