Strange artifact placing symbols

So, i've noticed this problem for about a week or so. Honestly i think it started after the recent update that didn't seem to agree with my system. At first, i thought maybe the large map i was working with. But even with new maps, no matter what symbols used, eventually i start to get this trail artifact of the symbol that remains on the screen until i zoom in or out and redraw. Any ideas? All my drivers are up to date. I'm working on Windows 10 and i'm updated as of yesterday.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Snap!

I get that as well, but it doesn't seem to do any harm :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Nothing I've seen when using CC3+.
    I know this sometimes happen in Windows in general when a window doesn't handle a requested redraw (often because it is busy doing other things), but if that was the case with the CC3+ window, it wouldn't have allowed you to place the symbol or do anything else either.

I recommend telling tech support about this though, maybe Ralf has seen something like this before and know the fix, or if not, to keep it on their radar.
  • Thanks. I can't seem to figure out why it started happening all of a sudden, but it's only just annoying and not affecting actual performance of the program (those trails can make me dizzy though, so I've got to redraw or zoom to make them disappear, but as soon as I move the symbol a new trail begins - can sometimes be a pain for precise placement of small symbols :/ I'll send an email to tech support later, thanks!
  • I get that from time to time, I just ctrl-r refresh and it goes away. Or Zoom extents, either one.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Are you running update 17a or update 17?

This looks like a case where the display buffer isn't being properly cleared from the back buffer. This could be one of those cases where a recent bug fix unmasked another bug that happened to be hidden (I hate to think how many times I've had equal and opposite bugs that canceled each other out).

Do you have any suggestions about how to get this behavior to trigger?
  • I have 17a installed... it happens so seldom I don't know what triggers it.
  • i'm running 17. I had a problem rendering high resolution maps with the latest update so I went back to a restore point. i'm finding it starts to happen after I move a symbol I've also noticed that getting wonky lately, too. Sometimes when I try to move symbol the symbol will appear almost "anchored" to a spot where there is a "line" from it's original location and the screen gets a bit weird. After this occurs then the trails begin - and do not stop even after closing and re-opening the map.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The symbol move problem is a bug in 17, that was one of the things that got fixed in 17a.
  • edited June 2018
    hmmm....but I didn't have the problem before the update. Ugh. 17a has been nothing but a monkey wrench for my previously happy CC3+ program. I'm definitely not installing it on my laptop....so far that program has been working fine, thankfully.
    Actually.... come to think of it I haven't had this problem since update 17a. I'm not using a lot of symbols at the moment, though - mostly constructing Sanctuary using the House command. The only symbols I've used are trees, and it just so happens that I haven't pasted any more trees since 17a.
    Lorelei, update 17 has a known problem with how symbols get undrawn during move, scale, and rotate that can cause the sort of symptoms that you describe. The fix for 17a was one line of code to fix the problem that caused the display oddities and a couple of other lines of code to clean up how effects copying worked. I am surprised to hear that it caused any other rendering changes.

The display problems in update 17 (the ones fixed in 17a) won't stop until you restart CC3+. If I recall, it also causes a memory leak that will eventually cause the program to crash.
    Oh look at that! I've been wondering why I haven't crashed just lately!

Thank you, Joe :)

Of course, running a lame PC with only 1.5 GB memory available to the user, a memory leak just kind of finished it off several times a day. LOL!
  • edited June 2018
    I thought it was just my machine! I have been getting that too as of late. It started not too long after the newest update... at least for me.

I'm also seeing something else happening, especially when I have to move or edit a symbol (make bigger, erase, rotate). I grab the symbol, and the area around where it was will 'disappear' and I have to refresh to get it back so I can see where to move the symbol to. Or sometimes, if I'm zoomed in, my map will 'jump' to anothere section that is no where near the area I was working on. Now if I zoom out, and then back in, it fixes the problem, or if I refresh, it goes back to the area I'm working on... but it's still highly annoying.
    LadieStorm, the symptoms that you describe are exactly those of the update 17 bug that was fixed in update 17a. What's happening with update 17 is that it remembers the display window image at the first place that you moved, copied, scaled, or rotated something and will use that same image for every subsequent move, copy, scale, or rotate operation rather than getting the current display image. Update 17a properly gets the new image at each operation.