Naraya, Campaign world of a long time lurker

I have started mapping with Campaign Cartographer when it was still CC2 Pro, but my mapping was done just casually with big intervals in between. I used my mapping to create maps to enhance my Roleplaying Campaigns throughout the years, but never really posted anything for the rest of the world to see. My goal in mapping, and yet one of the harder things in my experience, is for maps to make sense. At different levels this means different things. On world scale it means that rivers, mountains etc. seem to be in the right place, on a smaller scale it means that structure and buildings in a city feel logical to how a city would develop. Fortunately on the scale of worlds there is Fractal Terrains, which helped me a lot in designing a believable world. With local maps and cities I've read tips and tricks, studied real world examples and still it gives me headaches sometimes ;)

Having seen a number of Show and Tell examples here, I decided to step over my normal reluctance and post some of my efforts for my current running campaign world Ranaya. As a show and tell I think it would be nice to illustrate my efforts, going from the raw Fractal Terrains Image to the maps I made from it, zooming in in a few steps from the complete world to a major city.

So to start off with, the height visualization from Fractal Terrains, shown here in a projection (Wagner VII for enthusiasts) that gives a good impression of the whole world in one image. In my actual process I used different projections to get individual images of the main continents to get less distortion and then stitched those images together. This, together with the Climate visualization were the basis for mapping this world in CC3.

Comments

• This is the climate visualization that goes with it in the same projection
  • I used this basis to create the world map in CC3 in the Herwin Wielink style. It's been a long time ago that I started this process in CC3 (not CC3+) and I believe I used a combination of the the CC3 export in Fractal Terrains and my own stitched together heights visualization to come to the end result using a combination of reference and my own personal "artistic" discretion. Needless to say this process took quite a while during which I tweaked effects of the style a bit to suit my preferences.

The result of that is this world map of my world Naraya
  • Since the players in my campaign of course don't play in the whole world I needed to focus on part of the world and start working out more detail. So I chose the Ronasse continent as my main focus and zoomed in on that, using the techniques to create a sub-map from a larger map (thank you "Tome of ultimate mapping").

First step of course was just adding more detail to this continent and fine tuning things a bit, with this as the result
  • Since this was where the players would mainly have their adventures, this continent needed more background and to start that off I started diving the continent in to nations or regions, trying to find logical borders, looking for natural things like mountain ranges that would act like natural defenses and likely to be borders for rivaling nations. After creating the borders and regions I named them and made this into a "political overlay" on the same map:
  • At this point it was neccessary to do some world-building in other sense than mapping, but thinking out backgrounds behind these nations, how they interacted with the world and each other before I could go on with mapping. This process falls outside the scope of this Show and Tell, but as a result I decided a focal point would be what I called the Cirelan Empired with was consisted of three major nations that were conquered and now ruled as one: Nehlin, Eshland and Nascaly at the northern reaches of the continent.

So I decided to make a submap of the Cirelan Empire to facilitate my further detailing. In this map, once again made as a cut-out from the larger map I added the larger cities and main travelroutes between them to get a better idea for myself how dynamics in this empire would be and what the hot-spots would be in terms of where most of the action would naturally occur. At the same time going over the map in my mind to find naturally interesting areas that might be useful for developing.

The result was this map:
  • Then I decided that the players, based on their own input and ideas would originate from a small town in Nehlin, rural enough so they didn't have too much knowledge of the whole world, but close enough to some hot-spots that I could easily get them into the fray of exciting adventures.

So I decided to map Nehlin with a bit more detail and Give cities names, adding a few more in the process. All in all though this is still a high level map. What's shown here is the map as it is now, but it still is in progress and details are added as needed (the players only know part of the map)
  • I ran out of time for now, will post more later today.
  • REALLY NICE!! I am not the biggest fan of the HW style for some reason, but this is just lovely! Great work blending the geographical regions together!
  • The region surrounding the town the players hailed from, Dyrham, needed to be fleshed out since this was the are where the players initially would be spending time in so "The Howling Meadows" were born. This was, after first creating the regional map from the Nehlin map terrain wise, an interactive process between adding details in the map and working out things like back-stories and reasons for those details. Map details influence the backgrounds and vice versa. Often working out how things fit in the world help me in detailing the map.

At the same time I wrestle more with these regional maps. It's harder to keep things interesting without cluttering too much, and at this scale I often wish for a little more variety in vegetation symbols. Fills often feel less suitable at this scale (especially forests)

The result of all that is this map, though this too is in a state of change.
  • edited May 2018
    Finally, since it would feature prominently in my campaign I also mapped out the large city Draegheburgh. After the initial rough layout this was a tremendous amount of work to do. Just for an idea I used the "count all" option in the info menu and the map in its current state has just under 160.000 entities in it.

The map in its basis is made in the CD3B style, but with some symbols from CSUAC and Bogie's used in there as well. There's not a lot of labeling in the map as I use the image to create an interactive map in my world-building software and add pins to it that link to actual information about what it points to.

This map was made more for functionality than for aesthetics. It's mostly finished though I might at some point make a pass over the exterior area outside the walls. I hope the map comes out okay on this forum though the details probably become lost because of the size it will be reduced to
  • And that concludes my drill-down from complete world to the level of city. I have also mapped dungeons, houses etc. but those are not as relevant to this show and tell. I'm very grateful for the mapping software that Profantasy makes as it, together with my world-building software Realmworks allow me to not only make my roleplaying campaigns more interesting with showing maps, but also help me organize the world better and allow me to be more constructive with building a cohesive, believable world.

So thank you for that ;)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    What a lovely set of maps :)

Thank you very much for showing them to us :D
  • Thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad you like them.
  • all I can say is... wow... very well done!
  • Posted By: LadieStormall I can say is... wow... very well done!
    Thank you,

Of course what you don't see in these maps posted right after each other is the countless struggles I've gone through wrestling with things like proper scale of fills, the fine tuning of effects or masking side effects of blends at the map border. Also I don't really consider myself much of a visually creative mapper, which is why I try to do my research what "right" is supposed to look like and why I use Fractal terrains as basis. For me that makes all the difference between a map that looks nice to me or one that I end up abandoning because it just looks wrong.

Maybe for contrast (and a bit of fun) compare the above to a map I made with CC2 nearly 20 years ago in 2000. I had the software for a couple of years then. Things have come a long way since then ;)
  • Thank you - that gives hope for neophyte tinkerers like me! :)
  • oh trust me, I know all about struggles with scaling and the like!