Community Atlas site temporary down

Due to a hardware issue, the server hosting the atlas site is down at the moment. I'll need to do some testing and troubleshooting to figure out exactly what is wrong before I can fix this, so expect some days downtime at the very least.

I have made a temporary download for the atlas here (atlas only, no images). Sorry for the inconvenience this causes for the June challenge.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Oh Remy!

Everything always happens at once doesn't it.

I don't think anyone has any right to moan about it though, since you did all this completely off your own bat.

Good luck with the trouble shooting :)
  • Okay, as long as you have it under control. I was going to see if I had my old drawing of a steam powered smoke shifter, and see if hooking that up would fix the problem.

On a much more serious note. Good luck !
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LoopysueEverything always happens at once doesn't it.
    Yep, it does. Just had a large hardware issue at work too, the cooling fans of one of our SAN disk enclosures said bye-bye, causing multiple disks to overheat to the point they were too hot to touch, bringing down multiple drives from a RAID 5 array.
    I don't think anyone has any right to moan about it though, since you did all this completely off your own bat.
    Sure, but people still deserves to know there are issues, and that it is being worked on, so that they can expect it back.
    Oh... my... word!!!

You don't need to tell me how scary that can be. It was a failed fan that nearly set my flat on fire. There were flames coming out of the casing before I decided to rip it out and throw it out of the window to save myself and the rest of my possessions.

I have one of those electrical fire extinguishers under my desk these days ;)
    Posted By: LoopysueIt was a failed fan that nearly set my flat on fire.
    I had a similar experience a few years back, but with an actual heater, one of those fan-thingies blowing hot air. I thought I smelt burnt plastic, so I looked under my desk, and there the thing sat, happily burning away. I quickly decided that was not an appropriate way to generate heat, so I unplugged it and carried it to my shower (was easier than the window).
    LOL!

I'm sorry, Remy - I absolutely shouldn't laugh. It was just the way you described it as being an inappropriate way of generating heat :P

I had to replace all the curtains, the carpet, and redecorate the room. That horrible smell - it just doesn't go away!
  • Posted By: LoopysueLOL!

I'm sorry, Remy - I absolutely shouldn't laugh. It was just the way you described it as being an inappropriate way of generating heat :P

I had to replace all the curtains, the carpet, and redecorate the room. That horrible smell - it just doesn't go away!
    Have you tried opening a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda ? On each box in each room corner. And if it spills a vacuum cleaner can easily get it up.
    Oh this was years ago now, Jim, but thanks for the tip. It was back in the days when having 2 x 500 GB discs and a RAID system was considered to be a real beast of a machine :P

If I ever have another nearly house fire again I will give that a go ;)
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    How scary! I had a friend once whose heated seat in his car overheated while he was driving and burned his pants! Okay... that one was funny but still dangerous!
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    I've gotten "let the magic smoke out" calls at work three times over the years. A bad power supply, a bad power strip (even with nothing plugged in), and a short in a 5 volt cable to a credit card pad that was so hot it would have lit paper on fire if someone had dropped a receipt on it. Thankfully, there was always someone on the scene with enough sense to unplug stuff.

(We did have a very minor electrical fire in a breaker box once, too, but the fire department had that handled very quickly and with minimal damage.)

Mr. Electron is not always your friend.
    edited May 2018
    So, the atlas is back up again for now. I have an array rebuild in progress, and assuming that one goes well, all is well. If not, I'll just have to handle that then.

Isn't it fun when both the raid array holding your data decides to die, as well as the primary backup storage at the same time? As it stands now, it seems like I was able to recover both though, although I don't have the final answer until the array rebuild finishes in a couple of days. Fortunately, I do have multiple levels of backup should it be required.

Note that I won't be able to handle any new atlas submissions until this is completely resolved.
    That's great news!

Congratulations :)

As for my contribution - I really don't think Sanctuary will be ready any time soon ;)
    Well, I think we can delay the 'good news' part until I am done rebuilding the array and have run some more test on the hardware. Only then do I know if everything is as it should be. Right now, everything is considered a temporary situation with a yet undefined outcome.
  • Good news that its coming back up.