Atlas June challenge - Floorplan Maps

So, many people seem to enjoy joining various mapping challenges, so I thought why not do something like that based in the atlas.

I was thinking on posting a challenge with regular intervals, related to the atlas, but without any requirement to submit the map to the atlas. While I do hope people will submit these maps to the atlas, I want the challenges to be open for everyone.

The maps will need to follow the usual atlas guidelines, of which the most important one is to only use symbols/fills from official ProFantasy CC3+ compatible products, or one of the four community packs (CSUAC, Dundjinni Archives, Vintyrie Cartographic Collection, Bogie's Mapping Objects). For those following the challenge without intending to submit to the atlas, that is probably the only concern (I want everyone to stick to this to make it fair).

Won't be any prices, but if this is a success, I will list the winners (decided by community vote) on the atlas website, and perhaps add a fancy "title ranking system" where winning several challenges gets you a higher title. Meaningless, but just a bit of fun.

June Challenge - Floorplans

The theme of the first challenge is a building floorplan. It should be a single story (the building may be multi-storied, but for the sake of the challenge, only one of them should be mapped, I'd rather see one nicely detailed floor rather than 5 generic ones). The emphasis here is also on building floorplan. It shouldn't be a dungeon or crypt or a village square, but a building.

The building you wish to make the floorplan from should be found in the atlas, there are a bunch of village and city maps there with buildings that can be mapped. The purpose here is to pick a building and map that actual building, not to make a generic floorplan that can be used anywhere, so please adhere to the shape and measurements of your chosen building when making the floorplan, all that is part of the challenge.
Any building in the atlas is open for the take, unless it is already marked as reserved, which you can check in the atlas and in this thread.

Once you have found your building, please mark it clearly on the map and post a screenshot in this thread (feel free to crop the part of your map you post to only show the relevant neighborhood), and state where it is from. The purpose of this is just to reserve your building to avoid two people grabbing the same one (I suppose the chances for that are slim though, unless you pick one of the more prominent ones). Then make a thread in the Show and Tell category showcasing your progress. As long as nobody posted here before you claiming the same building, or it was already marked as reserved in the atlas (the show reserved areas button that appear below any atlas map that has reserved areas), you can just start mapping it, no need to wait for an ok from me.
Note that some maps have some interesting buildings marked on the map, it is up to you if you want a building like that, or an anonymous one.

If you wish to submit your map to the atlas, you can whisper me the .fcw in your WIP thread when you are done with the map. Note that even if you don't intend to submit the map to the atlas in the end, you should still pick an atlas building to map to follow along with the challenge.

And please let me know what you think about this. Is it interesting to post such challenges every now and then with a specific focus?

Comments