How do I remove the Icecap form the Gaia view?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found an earlier thread that states that nothing can be done. : (

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello William :)

Do you know that you can create your own bitmap overlays, and maybe get something like the Gaia colour scheme that way.

I know it won't be the same, but you might get it fairly close :)
    edited May 2018
    I had a 5 minute go at generating an altitude colour pattern that loosely resembles the basic Gaia colours, and got this:

This is the actual Gaia

[Image_10920]

This is the false Gaia I made in just 5 minutes (which obviously needs a couple of hours serious work to get it closer)

[Image_10921]

And this is a colour scheme of my own invention that I actually prefer to use when I'm clicking through the worlds looking for nice shapes :)

[Image_10922]

Now, although I've no idea how to share either of these colour options I'm quite willing to share them. But I think I might need some assistance from someone who knows more about the app to be able to do that.

In the meantime, and anticipating that it should be possible to share them, I will work on the false Gaia for anyone who would like to have it :)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited May 2018
    What Loopysue is doing will also respond to changes in temperature or rainfall that you make on the map. The Gaia shader won't do that.
    OMgosh! It will?

I didn't realise that! LOL!

Maybe its because I never really paint those things ;)

I've worked on a few variations on the false Gaia theme. below

Please can you tell me how to share the colour scheme's I've made (if anyone wants them)?

Thanks Joe :)
    edited May 2018
    These are the variations I've been working on this afternoon. Some are a closer match than others, but the real Gaia changes with latitude, so I've created possible schemes for each zone. If these can be combined, or if the original tropical zone can be manipulated to make it respond to latitude that would be really terrific :)

False Gaia - tropical zone

[Image_10924]

False Gaia - subtropical zone

[Image_10925]

False Gaia - temperate zone

[Image_10933]

False Gaia - cold zone

[Image_10927]

False Gaia - very cold zone

[Image_10928]

False Gaia - arctic zone

[Image_10931]

False Gaia - polar zone

[Image_10932]
    edited May 2018
    Well... you CAN remove the ice caps, but not in any way that might be considered at all conventional.

By blending the exported images shown above into one using GIMP to fade them into each other through the climate zones by altitude, I've managed to come up with something that's fairly close to the Gaia version without the ice caps.

This is the original Gaia version directly from FT3

[Image_10938]

And this is the version I blended together from all those images in the previous post

[Image_10939]

Its fairly close, and not bad for a day's work. If I was doing this as a show piece I would try to get the ocean colour right at least, but its not too bad.