Overland Mapping Toolbar Buttons

I tried several keyword searches on this issue and didn't come up with anything, so hopefully I'm not asking a question that's already been addressed ad nauseum.

I have noticed that my overland map buttons on the top of the two lefthand toolbars (the toolbars are all in their original positions) do not include a "Default River" button as shown in both the CC3 user manual and the video tutorials. Instead the "Default Terrain" button shows up twice (see attached picture). The top of these two buttons, when left-clicked, pops-up a "No matching draw tool" message. The bottom button works as expected.

Is this a bug or have I somehow mucked up the toolbar? I have not made any changes to the toolbar that I'm aware of, but I suppose I could have accidentally screwed something up. If so, is there a way to restore toolbars to their default settings? I have been looking through the user's manual and the help files, but haven't been able to find an answer to this yet.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2009
    Hmm. You have two copies of the "Default Terrain" button instead. What happens if you right-click on the topmost of these two? Do you get terrain tools, or river/lake tools? Or do you still get the error message?

In any case, I would try to reinstall Patch 7. This often fixes problems such as this. If not, you need to edit the fcw32.mnu file manually. Open it in a text editor (notepad or wordpad for example), find line #506 (it is near the top), and replace it with this line:
    #506,CC2MRIVER:[Default River]{|DRAWTOOLSM;River*;}|DRAWTOOLSM;River, Default*;

The fcw32.mnu file is located in your main CC3 directory
  • If I right click on the topmost "Default Terrain" button, it brings up the terrain tools.

I have tried reinstalling both the patch and the entire program (though I discovered this morning that there are some files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users which may not have been removed during the uninstall, so that the reinstall may not have been entirely clean - I don't know if there is anything in there that might affect user preferences/settings or not).

When I get home from work tonight, I will take a look at the fcw32.mnu file and edit as necessary.

Thanks!
    edited March 2009
    Note that if you have a fcw32.imn file, this may contain menu elements that might override the regular menu file(fcw32.mnu), so look for a #506 line in that file as well (If you have one, you can remove it from that file)

Vista also keeps files in a virtual directory (physically stored inside your profile directory) to prevent changes to the "real" installation directory, so look out for any fcw32.mnu files in there as well, as they might override what you see in the installation directory.
  • edited March 2009
    FYI, the Vista virtual directory is normally in \Users\<id>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. Anything under Program Files\ProFantasy\CC3 in that directory will override the regular installation. (I use this deliberately to customize CC3 files, so that I don't need to make a backup of the originals.)
  • I'm having the exact same problem under Vista. My fcw32.mnu file is unchanged and I can not locate the other version of the file anywhere on the Hard Drive. Any other ideas? I bought the software recently so I'm assuming the latest patches are included. I have only used it for about 3 hours on my computer (Still running through the first tutorial) and I can't seem to get a river button.

When I do press on the button that should be the "River" button I get a Error Box.

Title: CC2
    Message: No Matching draw tool. There is no draw tool matching your selection in the current draw tool style.

When I try to create the river in the manual fashion I bring up the "Drawing Sheets" textbox and I can't click on any of the buttons in the list view at all. I can click OK, CANCEL, Rename, etc. I can click on the different sheets but I just can't click on the checkboxes.

So anyone out there that can help me? I really like to get this thing working correctly.
    Posted By: humanjoeI bought the software recently so I'm assuming the latest patches are included.
    They're not. You need to fetch the patch from your Registration Page.

If the problems persist after installing the patch, you might wish to contact ProFantasy Tech Support directly.
  • edited March 2009
    I am having the same problem and I have installed the Patch. I also completely uninstalled and reinstalled both CC3 and Patch 7.

checked fcw32.mnu and this is what it shows for #506
    #506,CC2MRIVER:[Default River]{|DRAWTOOLSM;River*;}|DRAWTOOLSM;River, Default*;

Running XP Home Multi-Media
  • 18 days later
  • edited April 2009
    I was having the same issue. Found this in another thread and it fixed the problem.
    Posted By: RalfI think I've found the problem that has been causting this bug lately. Re-run Patch 7 (no need to re-download) and it should get fixed. Or alternatively, simply unzip the attached file over your CC3 folder.