Import batch of PNGs Issue

Okay, following the fantastic Joe Sweeny videos on how to import PNGs I recently started having an issue.

I attempt to import a batch with a folder, selecting the first png, and the system is only importing the first. There is a notice saying the others already exist. Which could be true. I've imported and deleted these pngs successfully previously but deleted the fsc and removed the reference in Symbols Manager.

PNGs have been purged prior to import attempts. Every time now, just one is "updated". I've tried both Update and Rebuild methods.

Comments

• Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    Check the length of the names. If they are too long (I can't remember the exact length) then it only captures the name up to X spaces resulting in all the symbols being called the same thing which means it only imports one symbol.
    ensure the file names are less than 31 characters long
    This tool is great for bulk renaming a heap of symbols.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    Posted By: Josh.P.ensure the file names are less than 31 characters long
    Out of curiosity, is that limit the file name only, or the entire file and path?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Sometimes when you delete symbols you have to make sure they are deleted, purged from the Symbol Manager, the file is saved... and also shut down and restarted just to make sure they aren't stuck anywhere in the memory.

If you have already successfully uploaded them in the past, the filenames shouldn't be causing a problem - though it is good to check any new ones that simply won't upload ;)
  • The file names did changed / reverted back to originals. I will try shortening them. Thanks all for the suggestion!
  • LordEntrailsLordEntrails Traveler
    edited May 2018
    As mentioned, filename is limited to 31 characters. Full file path does have a limit. I don't know what it is though. Usually depends upon the operating system and the application together. Have not seen any restriction less than 132 characters in some time.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2018
    Posted By: LordEntrailsfilename is limited to 31 characters
    Technically, it is the length of symbol names that are 31 characters, filenames doesn't have a limit, except for the max path limit, but since symbol names are automatically generated from the file name when you import them, sticking to 31 characters or less for file names doe make sense. The only real issue happens when the first 31 characters are not unique among the imported files though, as this is what causes CC3+ to import multiple files as one symbol (overwriting the old symbol each time, leading to "missing" symbols)
    Full file path does have a limit. I don't know what it is though.
    255 characters. Windows 10 did away with that limit recently though, but only for programs that explicitly implements support for it (which would take quite some effort in CC3+'s case)