Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJHale1966
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2018

I'm attempting to do a map of Orasnou (from the CoS AL modules) but I'm not finding anything snowy as in ground, roads and buildings. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks!

Jim
    • CommentAuthorScottA

There's very little beyond some snow fills in various style packs and a few snowy tree symbols. That's pretty much it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2018 edited

Have you looked at all the third party art packs available through the links in this thread? There might be something there :)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

For snow scenes I sometimes use a Texturize effect on a solid white fill to get a snow background. The palest blue for vari-color roofs, and solid white fills with a strong edge fade for drifting snow and snow on trees.

Here's a quick example.
      Snow.jpg
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Oh, I like that!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Neat !
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's a really neat idea - like all your ideas :)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Glad you like, but I don't think I'm the only one who uses these techniques. The only difference might be that I use a lot of pale blue instead of white in my snow scenes. It adds interest to the coloration.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Do you use blue shadows as well? I notice a lot of shadows cast on snow have a blue tinge to them instead of just plain grey.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I do use a blue glow. I'm a lazy mapper so I don't draw my own shadows but often wish that we could change the color of the wall shadow effect. I would use blue shadows on snow if I could. :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh! I thought we could change the colour on the... Oh wait! I use the Directional Wall Shadow, not the Wall Shadow. You can change the colour on the Directional Wall Shadow ;)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

What??? (runs off to look) Well sh*t. How did I never see that? Thanks Sue! Sometime you can look at something and never really see it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh my lord! LOL!

Happy all your birthdays together, Shessar :D
    • CommentAuthorShessar

:D
    • CommentAuthorJHale1966
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2018

These are all great ideas - Thanks! :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2018

When the community art collection is set up at some point, I have a few snowy symbols I can add to it.

Don't want to just throw them out on the forum willy-nilly, since that would make a mess of the organisation required to keep such a collection sensible and logical ;)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2018 edited

I also used a blue tint on the entire map in my Skorra map in the Community Atlas contribution. Feel free to download it and see my take on a snowy village :)