Decision time: best way to edit a symbol. What'd y'all think?

OK.

Basic user here, but I learn pretty fast.

I'm making an Arabic seaport using the tools from CD3, specifically using the CD3C Vector/Med assets preloaded into the software.

Playing with the shadows on those buildings, I've noticed they don't quite look right with shadow effects added because the CD3C Med House and CD3C Med Domed symbols...the nice ones I'd love to use...have preadded stairs and awnings. When shadow is added, it makes it look like the stairs and awnings are coming off of the roof instead of somewhere below like they normally would so I'm like "Hey, I'll just remove the stairs and awnings and add them back on a different layer so as to get a good, multi-layer effect going on."

Easier said than done so far.

Unless I'm wrong, if I want to change the actual symbols in the system I have to either:

A. Explode the symbols one by one and remove the stairs and awnings by hand, then add them back...unless I'm doing it wrong, this is proving cumbersome. And I know sooner or later my comp is gonna melt with 1000000000000 tiny assets on the screen at once.
B. Edit the preexisting symbols before they're placed, meaning I want to change the assets preloaded into the system.

I'm thinking B is the best way to go but I'm getting bogged down in it...if I went that way, would I be cloning and creating a whole new set of symbols? Or changing the ones already in there?

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Have you tried editing them from within the symbol manager? This will allow you to edit the symbol within the map but not change the actual symbol in the catalog.

Select the symbol you wish to edit but instead of placing it in the map hit escape. This puts it into the symbol manager.
    Open the symbol manager, click on the symbol, change its name to something different.
    With the renamed symbol still selected, click edit. You will be asked to click two points to open a new drawing window. Treat this window as you would any drawing. It is just like an exploded symbol.
    Change the bits to different sheets as you like, then close the window and tell it to save.
    You now have a new symbol in your map without affecting the original symbol. You can place this symbol by opening the symbol manager symbols( green button below left of symbol options)
  • Note that if you want your new custom symbol(s) available in a different map, you have to save it out. I think...

I know it's documented in the TUM, and probably the help files, I just don't remember the exact steps as I've only done it a couple of times.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited May 2018
    Go to Symbol Manager, after placing your new symbols in a map, any map.

2) click on the top symbol in the popup.

3) scroll down to the bottom most symbol, hold down the shift key, click on the last symbol.

4) at the top of the symbol manager popup, click on Save as catalog.

5) browse to where you want to save it, give it a name, click save.

6) exit the symbol manager.

This is also good for when you come up with a nice village, or dungeon, where you want to use the same symbols in a different map. It reduces the need to browse around. I have standard villages and towns I use these sets for.
  • Dear lord, this is so much easier. I built a shipyard, replicated it, and dropped a series of them without even leaving the map. AMAZEBALLS!

For Shessar, LordEntrails, and JimP, thanks : )
  • Hey, don't give me credit! Shessar and Jim P are the ones who gave you actionable advice :)