Creating transparent PNG files to make new symbols

I have made a PNG file as a new symbol. I have added it to my symbols but it still has the white background.

I then opened the file in the standard 'Paint' program and made the background transparent. I have tested to see if this works by creating another picture on the same page of the paint program and dragging it over it. The image has a transparent background.

However, when I drag it into CC3+ the background is not transparent.

Any advice?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Make sure it is actually saved with that transparency. I don't really use paint, so I don't know exactly the limitations or how to do things there, but as long as the image is transparent, CC3+ will respect that, so if it still has a background when inserted into CC3+ it means the saved image don't have transparency.
    In general, testing the transparency inside the image editor when editing the image isn't really a good way to test things, since it excludes the save process.
    I don't think paint handles transparency very well though. I tried opening a standard symbol which I knew included transparency in paint, and simply saving it to a new file, and the first thing paint told me was that 'any transparency will be lost......'. I recommend using another image editor, like paint.net (not really related to paint) or gimp.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Windows Paint does not support [saving] transparency in PNGs. At least versions for Windows 7 and below don't. You'll want to try another image editor. There are many, many free ones. Some popular ones are GIMP, PAINT.net, and Irfanview, but there are a lot more.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: DogtagNinja'd!
    You were 7 seconds to late. For a modern CPU, that is an eternity.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    LOL! Remy the ninja God strikes again :P
    edited May 2018
    Monsen pointed out:
    Posted By: DogtagNinja'd!
    You were 7 seconds to late. For a modern CPU, that is an eternity.
    :-B
  • A picoosecond is a computer eternity. I know as I once had to study CPU and math co-proccesor timing diagrams. That stuff will keep you awake at night.
  • PeteFPeteF Traveler
    Following on from this off topic topic, I saw this a while ago and thought it quite interesting. The first table equates a single processor cycle to one second. It then scales other processes so that humans can comprehend the relative differences between things like memory and storage access etc a little better.

http://www.prowesscorp.com/computer-latency-at-a-human-scale/
  • You may need to rename the image. If you still have the image file without the transparent background saved in your map try removing it and then importing the new, updated image, or rename the image _1 or something similar
  • Got that sorted with Paint.Net.

Thanks a million guys!