what are the sources for the Humble Bundle

Hi All,

I was incredibly pleased to see this Humble Bundle as its likely to bring some new folks into the community and I'm excited to see the new folks. I own most of the products (for years)

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Cartographer

I was curious where the sources of the various parts were from.

It seems likely they came from various annuals but thought I would ask.

Does it include complete manuals or complete other products?

Comments

• pool7pool7 Traveler
    Just to clarify: the offer is via Bundle of Holding, which is (AFAIK) a completely separate entity not related to Humble Bundle.
    BTW: Would love to see ProFantasy offer their products via Humble Bundle in the future :)
    Wish you guys good luck and lots of sales via this Bundle.

In regards to your question, if you click n the "Details" button next to "11 STYLE, SYMBOL, AND TOOL PACKS", it includes the following information:
    This offer presents many installments from past Cartographer's Annual releases, 2007-2017, such as these Style Packs and symbol sets. Each installment typically includes a drawing style, dozens of tools, scores of symbols and bitmap texture fills, example maps, and a tutorial guide that explains how to use the set's sheets and effects in creating your own maps.
    Additionally it lists the included styles by name, but it doesn't specify which style belongs to which annual.
  • I just assumed it was some sort of deal with ProFantasy so that they were likely to know the specific sources and whether its complete annuals or portions or whether its from somewhere else. There information wasn't particularly specific after clicking all the links.

I guess its possible they just bought a bunch of codes and are selling them.
  • mehrkat: I don't know if the Bundle of Holding page has been updated since your visit, or if there may be a problem with your browser not showing all the details, but there is a LOT of information regarding the sources of the "11 Style, Symbol, and Tool Packs" part of the complete collection being offered, including a couple of sample images. Each of the eleven items is described there, certainly, and all the other products available have suitable descriptions as well.

Note that the codes are NOT being sold by the Bundle of Holding folks as some kind of one-off deal. This is an official ProFantasy offer. The page description is very clear that after purchase, you need to register with the ProFantasy website, because that's where all the software is hosted, and the ONLY place from where you can collect it. This is of central importance, because it's a different process to what Bundle of Holding purchases normally involve!

In terms of sales, the page counter shows 371 bundles sold already, which is astonishing, given the Bundle deal only went live about five hours ago (based on the time I received the alert e-mail from BoH). I've seen some Bundles not make that number in their first week - and this offer only has just over 8 more days to run!

Sadly, I doubt many Forum regulars here will find it of much help, as many of us will already have most or all the products being offered, but it is an excellent way to introduce more newcomers to the joys of CC3+ mapping!
  • It is a great deal. I've actually considered buying it just to give to my son or daughter.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    What a wonderful thing to do!

Thank you, and three cheers for the PF Team :D
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    By the way, there are a bunch of people asking questions about the bundle here. If anyone in the community fancied answering them, I'd be very grateful.
  • Posted By: Simon RogersBy the way, there are a bunch of people asking questions about the bundlehere. If anyone in the community fancied answering them, I'd be very grateful.
    Added my thoughts to that thread. Glad to help.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: LordEntrails
    Posted By: Simon RogersBy the way, there are a bunch of people asking questions about the bundlehere. If anyone in the community fancied answering them, I'd be very grateful.
    Added my thoughts to that thread. Glad to help.
    Very much appreciated!
  • You're welcome. Glad to help.
  • I am terrible at explaining things, but if someone wants to post there and link to my Crestar site: http://crestofastar.drivein-jim.net/ as a site with over 1,000 maps please go right ahead.
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    It came up on Reddit today, too. Gave him my honest opinion: Steep learning curve (but he had experience with a CAD program already, so wasn't afraid of it), but for the best looking maps you could hope to make, you can't beat it.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Sadly, a rather nasty fuss over the whole thing on the FB page... This is why we can't have nice things...
  • It seems to be 2 people on that page, one of whom thinks that sales of any sort are wrong - he needs to grow up; and the other who think a seller has no right to use the buyer's money to give to charity without his permission, completely overlooking the fact that once the buyer has receipt of the goods paid for, that money is the seller's to do what they want with - and it is already notified that the money to some extent will go to a charity, so the buyer is already informed of what is going to happen (which is not actually necessary) and if he objects, then he doesn't need to buy the goods. It is the most utter rubbish I have heard for a long time, stirred up by 2 people. It is a great pity that it has happened, and I agree with ScottA's comment. But please don't let that put people off the Facebook page, because apart from this it is really good.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Posted By: QuentenIt seems to be 2 people on that page, one of whom thinks that sales of any sort are wrong - he needs to grow up; and the other who think a seller has no right to use the buyer's money to give to charity without his permission, completely overlooking the fact that once the buyer has receipt of the goods paid for, that money is the seller's to do what they want with - and it is already notified that the money to some extent will go to a charity, so the buyer is already informed of what is going to happen (which is not actually necessary) and if he objects, then he doesn't need to buy the goods. It is the most utter rubbish I have heard for a long time, stirred up by 2 people. It is a great pity that it has happened, and I agree with ScottA's comment. But please don't let that put people off the Facebook page, because apart from this it is really good.
    Perfect explanation, and the only time I've seen such nastiness on the PF Facebook page, so as Quenten says, no need to be put off the whole page. I don't know if anything has been said to the two in question but I haven't seen any more. Unfortunately, an amazing artist and font of knowledge about PF products has left the group because of these two rude people. Shame when one or two nasty individuals who feel they are somehow entitled spoil it for everyone.
    Aw, now.... Thank you - I'm really flattered, but... the truth is that you still have far greater artists and experts than me in the FB group, and as far as I know they are all still there. You also have at least 2 key members of the Profantasy Team registered as members, and quite apart from being wonderful people they absolutely know their stuff ;)

Anyhow - if the truth be known I really am no saint, and I had to leave before I exploded at those two for behaving like a couple of 'moaning minnies' who are busy slagging off an expensive dress they've both bought - just because its suddenly appeared in the sales, so it was probably for the best that I didn't stick around to make a mountain out of their molehill ;)

And I'm still here on the forum if you want me - my home :)

Long live Profantasy :)
  • Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    edited May 2018
    Unfortunately the gentlemen we are discussing had a bad experience a while back where he lost his license keys for CC2 and had to repurchase it. I don't know the full details but he clearly wasn't happy about having to rebuy it, i remember reading about it at the time and if memory serves me right the Black Friday sales were announced a week or so later. Naturally that turn of events annoyed him.

I find the best way to approach these situations is with logic and space. Some people just need to vent and as long as it's not aimed at insulting anyone I don't see a problem with it. Obviously these things spiral though and I'm therefore monitoring this now having just finished a 13 hour work day I am having to catch up.

It's just part of being a member of the community on the internet though. Not everyone will always be happy which is fine. Negative feedback is still a form of feedback and can be useful when analysed in the right context. Just as long as things don't get personal.

My heart did sink though when I saw Sue had left :'(
    I am so sorry, Josh. I didn't mean to hurt anyone at all - in fact that's why I had to go. There was an evil black monster with flashes of gold fire in its eyes about to leap out my fingers into the keyboard and onto your group page, so I knew it was the right thing to do.

Aside from the little molehill that I so carefully avoided making into a mountain, the FB page is a very useful site, and a friendly place to hang out. I would recommend it to any proud new CC3+ owner :)
  • Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    I'll still stalk you here ;)
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Let me just say, that we always do our best to find people's serial numbers and orders in our database. It is one of the most common support requests I deal with, and I think I'm not exaggerating if I say that I'm successful in 90% of all cases. Some very old serial numbers (only for CC2) are not saved in our database and cannot be recovered, but if the order is present, we still issue new ones to any customer, despite CC2 Pro being more than 10 years out of date.

Please don't discuss people and individual issues here that may have been brought up on Facebook, especially if said people are not present.
  • Forgive me if I'm wrong, but no names were mentioned, at least not by me.
    edited May 2018
    @Simon - The Bundle is being advertised at the Guild as well - just here

I answered the first question that came up. Hope I did ok?
  • 6 days later
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    Congrats to PF for the success of the Bundle of Holding!!!
    Hope it was more successful than you expected :)

And welcome to the newcomers; hope you find this forum and its people friendly and learn a lot.
    @ Lord Entrails - you did an absolutely fantastic job answering the questions and sharing information on the rpg.net forum - a marathon run.

You deserve a medal!

Great work :D
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Thanks everybody for helping out on the various platforms!
    I didn't really do very much, Ralf, but what I did do was fun :)

Can we do it again some day?