Blur effect on symbols causing problems

I have just pretty much finished making a map of a town for one of my adventures for Warhammer Fantasy roleplay.

I have added the blur effect to the 'symbols' and really like what it does to the buildings in the picture.

Unfortunately when I do this, it seems to turn the docked boats and bridge in the picture into a black silhouette.

can anyone advise how to sort out this problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I haven't looked at the file, but I am in the middle of doing a 29 pass render right now.

Just a suggestion then - to put the badly affected symbols on a new sheet called SYMBOLS 2, and either not have the blur effect on them, or a much much smaller blur effect :)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited May 2018
    Your blur is set to 53 percent of the view width on the symbols sheet. Try setting it to 5 map units instead (assuming that you want the symbols blurred).
    I should probably ask what look you're trying to achieve with the blur on the symbols sheet, because blurring symbols just loses details.
  • I only see one boat there, and it looks perfectly normal to me.... I don't see the black silhouette.
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: jslayton</cite>Your blur is set to 53 percent of the view width on the symbols sheet. Try setting it to 5 map units instead (assuming that you want the symbols blurred).
    I should probably ask what look you're trying to achieve with the blur on the symbols sheet, because blurring symbols just loses details.</blockquote>

I am not trying to achieve anything in particular if I am honest, I was just experimenting with effects and trying to learn what works with what? However, when the blur was on it just looked 'better' to my eyes. I can't really explain why that is? Perhaps it just looks more like a painting and less like a computer program?
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    I certainly understand the experimentation thing. I was asking because I hadn't seen that sort of technique before and I'm always interested in new ways of doing things.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Experimentation is good, orfeboy :)