Vatican Gallery of Maps

So, I was a weekend trip to Rome two months back (my sisters and I brought my mom on a trip for her 60th birthday), and while we where on a tight schedule, we managed to see quite a few interesting sights. Now, Rome is full of nice things to see, but I think one of the most relevant things for this forum is the Vatican Gallery of Maps. Unfortunately, I was on a guided tour, so my time in the room was limited to about 10 minutes instead of the hours upon hours I would have liked to spend there (the room isn't that big, but the maps are absolutely beautiful). The room is a 120m long "corridor", containing 40 maps painted in the 1580's. It was commissioned by the pope at the time as both a decoration and a way to educate themselves of the world (they didn't have google maps back then). It is a location I highly recommend people visit.

Now, here are the photos I took while in there. Note that not all of them came out great, and because I both had limited time and the room was full of other people, I didn't get to take as many pictures as I liked, nor did I have time to make sure all of them came out good or get proper framing. Also, these are just quick snaps with my cell, I am not a photographer, nor do I have any such equipment.

Here's the Wikipedia article.

And here's a Google Image Search with a lot of images from the room.

[Image_10848] [Image_10849]

Comments