how do you split up a landmass?

so i've read the manual.. and yea i can split the small stick they want you to

But i just can't split a landmass. so far i've sat with this for the past 2 hours and i think i'm going a bit insane

help pls

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Splitting something like a landmass takes a couple of steps.

1. First of all, if it has an outline, it must be processed separately. The best way to deal with it is to actually delete it, it is easy to get back later.
    2. Now, use the Split command on the landmass twice, once for each point on the coastline to split it at. The first time you do this, the "fill" of the landmass will disappear, and you will be left with just a thin outline. That is expected, since when you split a polygon, it won't be a polygon anymore, just a line.
    3. Now, right click the explode button to get to the Path to Poly command. Use this on your two halves, with a separate run of the command for each half.
    4. To get back the outline, right click change properties, and select the change like draw tool command. When the command line prompts for the tool to use, right click inside the drawing area to bring up the tool selection dialog. Pick the appropriate landmass tool, select both your halves, and the Do It.
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Monsen</cite>Splitting something like a landmass takes a couple of steps.

1. First of all, if it has an outline, it must be processed separately. The best way to deal with it is to actually delete it, it is easy to get back later.
    2. Now, use the Split command on the landmass twice, once for each point on the coastline to split it at. The first time you do this, the "fill" of the landmass will disappear, and you will be left with just a thin outline. That is expected, since when you split a polygon, it won't be a polygon anymore, just a line.
    3. Now, right click the explode button to get to the Path to Poly command. Use this on your two halves, with a separate run of the command for each half.
    4. To get back the outline, right click change properties, and select the change like draw tool command. When the command line prompts for the tool to use, right click inside the drawing area to bring up the tool selection dialog. Pick the appropriate landmass tool, select both your halves, and the Do It.</blockquote>

since i'm still rather new to all this. can you tell me how to actually remove the outline?

but thanks for the informative reply, i'll try it when i get back to working on the map :)
    edited May 2018
    It depends a lot on the map style. In the default Mike Schely overland style, the outline is on the COASTLINE sheet, so by just hiding the other sheets, you have the outline nicely separated and can simply erase it, then go back to show all the sheets again. Otherwise, one of the selection tricks, like selecting by color, by layer or by entity ID should allow you to easily isolate and erase the coastline without touching the landmass at the same time.
  • i'll see about it and will reply back if i can get it to work in like an hour

Thank you very much :)
  • edited May 2018
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Monsen</cite>It depends a lot on the map style. In the default Mike Schely overland style, the outline is on the COASTLINE sheet, so by just hiding the other sheets, you have the outline nicely separated and can simply erase it, then go back to show all the sheets again. Otherwise, one of the selection tricks, like selecting by color, by layer or by entity ID should allow you to easily isolate and erase the coastline without touching the landmass at the same time.</blockquote>

i can't hide land

So i still can't delete the outline... any other idea?
    Land is probably the active sheet, you can hide that, so switch to another sheet first.
  • it still doesn't hide the land. https://i.imgur.com/3YnpsZS.png

am i just doing something wrong? i really don't understand
  • alright forget my other comment. i finally got it work

thank you so much monsen! you really saved my day :D