Measuring Travel Times

I was formerly using AutoRealm for mapping, but recently switched to CC3 because it offers a lot of flexibility in the design process that AutoRealm lacked. However one feature for AR I DID like, was the ability to measure two points not just in distance, but in travel times. For example, I can compare the travel times between two points by characters on foot, or horseback, and even to some extent based on the type of terrain or if the characters were heavily burdened. It could even trace a meandering path, allowing for characters following rivers, or winding roads. This was INCREDIBLY useful for writing, as it allowed me to establish a clear timeline of where different groups of characters would be within a given point in time.

I know that CC3 can measure straight distances int he map's internal units, but does it have any capabilities along the lines above?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I may stand corrected, but not that I know of.

How interesting! I don't know the first thing about AutoRealm. is it possible to import a jpeg to AutoRealm (thinking here of exporting one from CC3) and set it up to measure those kinds of things?

I am a hobby writer, and would be interested to know.
  • You can draw a line to represent the route, and measure distance along this line via the info menu. To get the time taking account of terrain, you would have to measure the distances for each terrain type travelled, and divide this by the number of distance units travelled a day in that terrain by the selected mode. Very cumbersome, I know, but it can be done. Certainly, you are not restricted to a straight line. This is what i use when measuring length of rivers, or coastlines. Note you also have an area tool - good for population calculations.
  • I typically use the rules that come with the game. One says walking is 10 miles per day on flat terrain. Another say 20 miles.

So just measure the distance, note the terrain type, calculate the time.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2018
    Some more info on the various measuring tools.