Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2018 edited

Well, I have long, for decades, wanted to make floor maps, and connect them. Not just say 'spiral staircase' down to the next level.

So, here it is. First map is an example flat map with a stair going downward.

The second map is a small Iso map leading down to a 'connecting' room on the next level. i say connecting, because at that point, I would map another flat map to show second level.

I think it would be boring to show all the stairs down, as they could be 10 feet, or hundreds of feet, of stairwell.

Here we go !

What do you think ?
      dungeon_h01_0003b.png
      dungeon_v01_0004b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2018

How interesting!

I have always assumed that a stairwell symbol meant 'one level', no matter how far apart the levels were.

Nice mapping, though, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thank you.

Some of my dungeons.. the stairs on level 4 may go down to level 6. A character might have to go up to level 3, to find the spiral or stone stairs that goes down to level 5.

More like a large stone puzzle. Sraa Keep on my Crestar site does have levels that as you progress downwards into the depths, your character misses where the main treasure is located. And the characters wind up with a lesser treasure.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

How about adding a very small signpost label on the flat map, like "To level 3" with a tiny arrow?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Well, I like for my players to guess where they are heading. I never tell them if they find everything.

I could do it for my Atlas maps though.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

People can always change the labels... or hide them :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

You can ask Monsen to add a toggle for certain labels for Atlas maps, and add your own to your own maps. i put the 'secret' stuff on the gamesmaster only layer, and have a button to toggle this label on and off
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2018

What do you think of combining these two methods ?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

My other concern is... would it lead to complicated maps ?

In Sraa Keep, on my Crestar site, the levels don't sit above and below each other. Some go off to the side. Or one level is partially under another one, the lower level goes down the ridge from the one above it.

I need to redo Sraa Keep maps, and this method might work, and it might make the maps more complicated than they already are.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I'm contemplating using this method, Iso and flat, for one of my Atlas dungeon maps.

I have to get ready for a trip next week, so not sure when I'll work on this. But who knows, whan i say stuff like 'no time' I typically go ahead and do it.

Symbol Set is Dungeon SS2B
      dungeon_h01_0011b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2018

I just realized something...

I don't see a way to show the underside of the level above.

My plan was to draw a floor, and have a stone stair go down from an opening in that floor. But I don't see a way to draw a floor and show the underside of it.

If I could do this, I could show pits and other lower sections of the floor from underneath.

Anyway, research continues.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Drawing it, and then rotating the png 180 degrees doesn't work either.
      dungeon_v02_0003b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I am not entirely sure I understand what you are trying to do.

What seems to be the problem, Jim?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I want to draw, with CC3Plus, the bottom of the level above the next level down, at least to show where it connects. And to show any pits, etc. from underneath.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

But wouldn't that mean drawing the map in full perspective - full virtual reality?

I don't think you can do that in ISO perspective. You can only see the front two faces and the top of anything.

What if you were to use cutaway views like in engineering drawings to show hidden things? Would that work?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I don't think it needs full 3D. The symbols that can be placed to show the under side aren't available, but could be added.

Drafting is something I learned many years ago, but I would much rather use CC3Plus. Drafting gave me a headache, even when I took a class in AutoCAD.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2018 edited

The above would work... if the floor was angled at a plus 30 degrees instead of a minus 30 degrees. The angle is mostly a guess.

Hmm... Instead of the back edge being slanted downwards, if it was more horizontal, or slightly elevated it would look more like what I want to do.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

But that wouldn't be ISO perspective, would it?
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Probably just me being a bit dense, but I'm not sure either why you need to see the underside of anything in isometric projection like this, Jim.

I don't know if it may help - it helped me visualise things better at least for ISO 3D drawings - but this video is a useful take on converting 2D dungeon maps to isometric views, using purely hand-drawn systems (albeit drawn into a computer and manipulated that way). It's a little long for what it does, at nearly 18 minutes, but if you scan to the end, you may see what I mean when I say it shows how a 2D floorplan can be split among several levels in ISO projection, yet still clearly showing exactly how every level connects and where. You'd need to flesh-out the details with walls, doors, room dressing, etc., but the basic principle holds, I think.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: LoopysueBut that wouldn't be ISO perspective, would it?
    to

Still two sides but with a bottom view instead of top view.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

On my phone for now. Easier for me to see videos on my computer.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2018

Two sides and a bottom view?

That would certainly take some getting used to - and you are right - there aren't any symbols for such a view.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2018

I have some ideas... probably wont pan out, but I am going to look at something else. Not Iseo symbols, by maybe I can fudge something with Perspectives drawing tools. But off hand, I don't think so.

I watched the video... I did do a class in drafting in college, but I'm not good at it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

The floor angle is still wrong, here here is another try. A nice pit seen from below, and some salagtites.
      dungeon_v03_0002b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Its a very weird view, but I CAN see it if I try, and if I know that its meant to be the underside of the roof and not just an upside down map. The stairs are throwing it out though. Every time I look at them I see and upside down map and not the upward view.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I think if the stairs were 180 degrees the other way, it would look better.

Or spiral stairs. I can try that next.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Okay, next test.
      dungeon_v03_0003b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Hmmm....

I think it might look better if you move that stalactite. At first I thought it was the dangling legs of someone sitting on the bottom step.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Also if you make the floor stone instead of wood. Then the stalactites would look more believable. I'm not saying that they wouldn't form on the underside of floorboards, just that the boards seem a bit out of place.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

More trying for a floor angle... which I think I have with using the poly room, instead of a rectangular floor.

edit:

Argh, this looks more like an optical illusion where it looks right side up and upside down.
      dungeon_v04_0004b.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Ummm….

I think you're getting cooler now. The one before was better ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I'll think on this more... need to check my tent and stove to see if everything still works.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Jim, while I wholeheartedly applaud the spirit of exploration here, and your efforts so far, I'm still not sure why you're feeling the need to do this. It almost seems as if you're trying to create a virtual-reality 360° view of the scenery, rather than a map, and I'm not sure CC3+ is the right software for generating that.

For instance, pits don't "hang" from the floor above them like stalactites; they're cut into the substance of or below the floor, so aside from the stalactites, my impression is that the entire scene is just the wrong way up. To get the pit to look more like a pit, I think you'd need a cutaway showing it IS a pit, or maybe using a transparent/translucent "front wall" so you could see the trapdoor (if there is one) and any pit contents (floor spikes, say). Some impression of the overall floor thickness - again, perhaps using semi-transparent lines and/or textures - might help with the illusion too.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Well, I wanted to show the underside of the level leading down to the level being mapped.

Not the entire level, just to show where the stairs, etc. attaches.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime3 days ago

About to finish packing for a camping trip for this weekend, so I will be back next week, after I rest up from the camping trip.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Have a lovely time! :)
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu
    • CommentTime8 hours ago

Just had a thought how about making the ceiling a mirror image of the floor but make the ceiling not as squashed as the floor that way it would appear to the person looking at the picture to be in between those two surfaces