WIP Drunken Cyclops Pub & Mill for the Community Atlas

Figured I haven't done an inn yet for the CA, so I decided to do a big one! LOL! Still lots to do, but I have the bones there mostly...

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You aren't joking are you! LOL!

That's a very unusual combination, if you don't mind me saying. Do you get a lot of pubs and mills combined in the USA?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I remember I visited an old mill turned to pub in the UK. I don't think the water wheel was intact though, it was only the old building.

So. Where is this place located in the atlas then?
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    @Sue: Yes. Cider mills. Quite often they make and sell cider, and many have moved into full catering.

@Remy: Well, all I really need is a river in a temperate (Apple growing) area. I have an idea. I know I just sort of pop up with things unannounced. Sorry. :(
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited May 2018
    Oh no, don't stop! This is looking like a great map in the making :)

If Sanctuary wasn't in an oranges, lemons or bananas and coconuts latitude I'd try to find a place to put the mill in ;)

(At least I THINK that's where Sanctuary is!)

EDIT: We have stranger combinations. The last mill I visited was also a pottery :)
    Posted By: ScottAWell, all I really need is a river in a temperate (Apple growing) area. I have an idea. I know I just sort of pop up with things unannounced.
    Just make sure you find somewhere with a building/location on the map that represents this, I can't really link it in from any random empty are along a river (well, I can, but such links gets really tiny and noticeable on an overland map, so I prefer to avoid them, and it also doesn't make sense from a navigational point of view why clicking on this empty area would bring up this building.)
    Don't worry about unannounced though, as long as it doesn't interfere with already reserved areas, it isn't a problem, and for a building that could fit almost anywhere, reserving up front isn't really important
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Ah, okay. I hadn't thought of that. Well, I'll look through the Atlas and find an appropriate geographic area with a tone on a river (as most are, anyway)... unless I get REALLY ambitious and do a new village, too to go with the mill! We'll see...
    A new village would be splendid. Or you could do a local level overland map of a small area with the mill marked on it, like Quenten did here.

I hope I don't seem to ungrateful/unreasonable here though, but for the atlas to work, the navigation really needs to make sense, as this is one of the key features that separates it from just a bunch of random maps. I appreciate every map to the atlas, but if they cannot be linked in properly, they tend to just disappear among all the files, and I don't want that to happen to any map. This is of course one of the advantages of reserving an area up front, because you force yourself to pick something from the existing atlas, and then make a detail something from it. We'll always manage to fit any map in though, and usually it can be easily fixed just by throwing in an intermediate map level and everything is good as gold.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Posted By: MonsenA new village would be splendid. Or you could do a local level overland map of a small area with the mill marked on it, like Quenten didhere.

I hope I don't seem to ungrateful/unreasonable here though, but for the atlas to work, the navigation really needs to make sense, as this is one of the key features that separates it from just a bunch of random maps. I appreciate every map to the atlas, but if they cannot be linked in properly, they tend to just disappear among all the files, and I don't want that to happen to any map. This is of course one of the advantages of reserving an area up front, because you force yourself to pick something from the existing atlas, and then make a detail something from it. We'll always manage to fit any map in though, and usually it can be easily fixed just by throwing in an intermediate map level and everything is good as gold.
    I think I'll do an overland area and include it there, probably in a small village. Good idea.

And no, you do not seem ungrateful or unreasonable in the least. For a project like this to work there has to be order, otherwise, you'd end up with a big hodge-podge of stuff all thrown together.